Thread: Anime Boston 2004: Anyone going?

1. Anime Boston 2004: Anyone going?

A bunch of friends from my home state of PA will be here this weekend for Anime Boston, and I'm curious if anyone here will be going. A friend from home who couldn't make it tried to transfer her registration to my name, but I don't think it went through, because AB totally ignored emails from both of us. Regardless, I'll probably be hanging around the area, maybe getting a dealer's room pass, it's only a block or two from where I live.

Anyone else plan on making it out?

2. Heading to Boston tomorrow (today, really), and I might make it there... but chances are I won't be able to go.

Post impressions if you do go though Grave.

3. Quote Originally Posted by NoFace
    Heading to Boston tomorrow (today, really), and I might make it there... but chances are I won't be able to go.

Post impressions if you do go though Grave.
    Registrations are totally sold out, man. If mine isn't there, that means I can't get in... and nobody else is being admitted. You can buy passes to the dealer's room, though, and I might. Hopefully those won't sell out... I really want to buy some useless crap I don't need, as places like Tokyo Kid really blow.

My friends will be in the line to pick up badges soon... it's 6:15 AM and I still haven't slept. Fuck college. No class til 11:30 and I finally finished my work. I might go wait with them.

Out of curiousity, what brings you here?

Edit: Wow, my registration did go through! I got my badge now, and it looks like it's gonna be a pretty good time. Will post fun impressions at a later time.

4. Was just spending Friday/Saturday in Boston with the GF, who I knew wouldn't be down with the convention, and that was the case. Didn't realize it was that hard to get into registration wise... but how was it, I'm assuming you went after reading your edit?

5. I went with two of my friends. It was better than last year for a handful of reasons, one of the main ones being that it wasn't nearly as hot and cramped. Despite our shitty hotel room (phones didn't work, sinks backed up, no one fixed either for three days despite 4+ complaints...) I had a fantastic time.

The best things were:
    - Me winning the Samurai X DVD box set at the ADV panel
    - The Hentai Dubbing Extravaganza
    - Scoring a sweet Last Exile business card holder (which is so basic in design that it looks very professional)

Better than last year, which was already fun to begin with.

6. Quote Originally Posted by kabuki
    I went with two of my friends. It was better than last year for a handful of reasons, one of the main ones being that it wasn't nearly as hot and cramped. Despite our shitty hotel room (phones didn't work, sinks backed up, no one fixed either for three days despite 4+ complaints...) I had a fantastic time.

The best things were:
    - Me winning the Samurai X DVD box set at the ADV panel
    - The Hentai Dubbing Extravaganza
    - Scoring a sweet Last Exile business card holder (which is so basic in design that it looks very professional)

Better than last year, which was already fun to begin with.
    Nice. Glad you had a good time... the Park Plaza is a kind of shitty location for this kind of thing, but hey, they're going to Hynes next year. Sure, it sucks that I won't be able to walk out my front door and walk two blocks and be at the con, but I think it'll be a much bigger, better affair. Hopefully better organized, too.

Yeah, I did get in, but the first two days I hardly spent any time there. Friday and Saturday nights were partying elsewhere, but I was there all day on Sunday. Spent way too much on merch, caught a few showings throughout the weekend, had a good time. Ran into some kids from the city I don't see much anymore, it was nice. Out of boredom on Sunday my friend and I started an armwrestling table in the Artist's Alley. We didn't have many takers, but we did lose $4 on bets when all was said and done.

I thought the hentai dubbing would have been a fun time, but I missed it. Damn. There were also some live action movies I would have liked to catch, but I was drinking far away from the con, and I couldn't make it back in time.

Still, it was quality, though if I spent more time there I think I would have enjoyed it more. Otakon's next up for me, can't wait for that.

7. Saturday was the day for AB this year. Tons of good showings (including the premiere of R.O.D. the TV), all the big panels, and the Hentai Dubbing Extravaganza at night. Sunday was very weak compared to Saturday.

The Hentai Dubbing was the funniest shit ever. If there is one thing you see at AB next year, make it the hentai dubbing. And bring lots of your friends. You'll love it.

Next year's AB will be twice as big, I bet. The bigger venue will be great.

8. Quote Originally Posted by kabuki
    The Hentai Dubbing was the funniest shit ever. If there is one thing you see at AB next year, make it the hentai dubbing. And bring lots of your friends. You'll love it.
    Yeah, I can see the potential for hilarity... I did get a free Domokun hat though! Sunday was pretty slow, yeah, but it was fun to chill with people when everything was closing down. The people who ran the artist's alley were cool.

9. The first girl to go during the hentai dubbing was ummm... really good..... She got offered a job with Anime 18 afterwards (for real). I wonder if she took it.....

I really enjoyed the Artist's Alley this year (even though the artists were crammed into a small crappy out-of-the-way room compared to last year's spot on the mezzanine). I grabbed three pieces of art from one of the girls there. Her work has a really amazing style.

10. Quote Originally Posted by kabuki
    The first girl to go during the hentai dubbing was ummm... really good..... She got offered a job with Anime 18 afterwards (for real). I wonder if she took it.....

I really enjoyed the Artist's Alley this year (even though the artists were crammed into a small crappy out-of-the-way room compared to last year's spot on the mezzanine). I grabbed three pieces of art from one of the girls there. Her work has a really amazing style.
    Which one? I'm talking to one of them now, about doing a hilarious commission for me we talked about at the con. It's too early to reveal details yet, but if you're amused by the absurdity of a lot of things furries say and do, this will probably make you giggle.