Thread: iBook

1. iBook

I have a friend who looks to me for computer advice, and she wants to buy an ibook. Cost is a huge factor, so she's looking at the 12"er. I know there were a lot of problems with old iBooks, but how are the new G4 ones holding up? What should i tell her about getting one? If she gets one she's definatly getting Applecare and i told her she'd need more RAM.

I already brought up that she could get way more for her money with a PC, but she's an artist so it has to be a mac. Would the iMac be a better option for any reason?

Thanks

2. The G4 iBooks are holding up really well. I haven't had any major complaints since they've been out and they are really sturdy machines. AppleCare is a must for any Mac and more RAM is always good.

The iMac is nice. The i- machines are for home users, people doing minor graphical stuff and home video editing. The Power- machines are for pros using stuff like FCP and Macromedia and whatnot. 20" iMac is a really good choice if you have the cash.

lithium Guest
    When it comes to laptops I really debate the idea that you get more for your money with PCs. Apple laptops compete very well with thinkpads, Sonys, etc.

4. thanks Mike, that's what i wanted to hear.

I'd say Sony and IBM laptops are also a bit overpriced. If you compare to Dell i think Dell gives you more performance for your money, albeit bigger and uglier.

lithium Guest
    Yeah but have you ever used a Dell laptop? That's all my company buys. I hate them. They just don't have that nice feel that a thinkpad or ibook does. There's more than just specs when it comes to laptops, feel and efficiency of use are just as important. Dell's don't got that.

6. Quote Originally Posted by lithium
    Yeah but have you ever used a Dell laptop? That's all my company buys. I hate them. They just don't have that nice feel that a thinkpad or ibook does. There's more than just specs when it comes to laptops, feel and efficiency of use are just as important. Dell's don't got that.
    i have a Dell, using it right now. Keyboard is kind of shitty but it has the best screen of any laptop i looked at by far. 15" widescreen 1600 x 1050, and that's just the middle size. I can't find anyone else that's even close. Apple's 15" is only 1250x854 and even their 17" is only 1440x900. Not quite as tightly fit as an IBM, but still reliable.

lithium Guest
    That's what I'm talking about though. The keyboard is the most essential piece of a laptop IMO. I could type on a Thinkpad all day (or my iBook, like I'm doing right now). The Dell I often use at work is awful to type on.

Also the touchpad is important. I prefer the pencil eraser dealies though, another reason I lean towards Thinkpads. Apple's touchpads are the most responsive IMO. Dells typically have both, but that's only a good idea in theory. Whichever one you're not using has a tendancy to get in the way, especially the touchpad if you prefer the eraser.