Thread: EA Announces Ty the Tasmanian Tiger

1. EA Announces Ty the Tasmanian Tiger

G'Day Mate..

Electronic Arts goes "down under" with its new character-based action adventure game, Ty the Tasmanian Tiger. The title's star, Ty, is a wild, boomerang-wielding Tasmanian Tiger whose adventures take the player through a brilliantly animated 3D environment set in the splendor of Australia. Currently under development, Ty the Tasmanian Tiger will be released for the PlayStation 2 and Nintendo GameCube game consoles this fall under the EA GAMES brand.

Players take on the role of Ty, who has always believed that he's the lone remaining Tasmanian Tiger. During a chance meeting with a mystical bunyip elder, Ty discovers that his fellow Tasmanian Tigers are still alive but trapped in another world, Dreamtime. In order to unlock and open the portal to Dreamtime, Ty must go on an adventure to find five stolen talismans. So begins his journey through a wide range of locations including the rainforest, snowy mountains, billabongs, the Outback and the Great Barrier Reef.

Ty the Tasmanian Tiger will offer a light-hearted and humorous action adventure experience where players will encounter a bevy of madcap characters based on real-life animals that are indigenous to Australia. For example, the charismatic Ty is inspired by the extinct Tasmanian tiger and his main enemy, the evil Boss Cass is a cassowary with a bad attitude.

The game will feature many elements unique to character-based action games including a wide selection of gameplay styles like combat, riding, and puzzles as well as an array of mini-games with mini-bosses. Ty will be able to run, jump, swim and glide. Moreover, the player will be able to control Ty's signature weapon, an upgradeable boomerang, as well as his "chomping" ability for new attack moves.

The game will be published and distributed by EA and will hopefully have the game available worldwide this fall.

2. Hah, I'm siked over this. (points to avatar)

Anyway, it reminds me a bit of the glut of look-alike platformers that followed the success of Sonic a decade ago. Count me in, even if EA is making it.