Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Renewal of Evangelion - US release under the Platinum label

1. Hrm... and anime is 20% off at Best Buy this week... maybe I'll just get this first disc for shits and giggles.
    Yeah, I got the first vol. + box (the box looks great) with the deal... I only have the series on VHS, need to start converting over some of those, as VHS take up way too much room comparatively.

I don't understand why there'll be seven discs, though. First disc has 5 eps, they should've mirrored the 5-5-4-4-4-4 model for 6 discs total... 5 eps on one disc and 3 on another is too much fluctuation.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Bacon McShig
    I don't understand why there'll be seven discs, though. First disc has 5 eps, they should've mirrored the 5-5-4-4-4-4 model for 6 discs total... 5 eps on one disc and 3 on another is too much fluctuation.
    the only thing i can imagine is that they're counting the alternate versions of the last 2 episodes as seperate.

3. I watched the first bit of episode 1 tonight, along with the commentaries for eps 1 and 2. A few thoughts - wicked awesome remastering, the show truly looks lovely, and is worth my double-dipping. I can't comment on the 5.1 sound in the dub because (a) my sound was turned down low and (b) I don't have a 5.1 setup.

As for the commentary, if you're interested in the dub actors and the horrors of the dubbing process circa 1997-ish, it is well worth a listen. Just don't (at least on this volume anyways) expect any insight into the actual show. To note, Matt drops a major EVA spoiler in the ep 2 commentary so if you haven't seen the show yet (whosawhatsa?), be warned.

Very excited to be going through this show yet again. This time I'm having my roomate watch with me, since he hasn't seen the show yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon McShig
    Noir and Rahxephon were released in odd mixes of 3/4/5 eps/DVD, so I'm guessing EVA Platinum will do the same.

4. Quote Originally Posted by kabuki
    As for the commentary, if you're interested in the dub actors and the horrors of the dubbing process circa 1997-ish, it is well worth a listen. Just don't (at least on this volume anyways) expect any insight into the actual show. To note, Matt drops a major EVA spoiler in the ep 2 commentary so if you haven't seen the show yet (whosawhatsa?), be warned.
    You'd think he'd be a little more careful about that. Not that it matters to me, but I'm sure there is SOMEBODY who doesn't know.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Chux
    You'd think he'd be a little more careful about that. Not that it matters to me, but I'm sure there is SOMEBODY who doesn't know.
    Afterwards he says "I'm sure most who are watching this have seen all of Evangelion already, anyways." or something like that, which is humorous because he also says (I think more than once) how EVA is one of those series that anime newbies will seek out and watch despite the show being 8+ years old.

6. Yeah, I think the back of the box shows the original air dates as like 95.

7. Wonder if anything will happen with the remastered movies, Manga having them and such.

Oh, and yeah, commentaries with the ADV localization people? Is that supposed to be incentive?

8. Quote Originally Posted by Zenigata
    Wonder if anything will happen with the remastered movies, Manga having them and such.

Oh, and yeah, commentaries with the ADV localization people? Is that supposed to be incentive?
    No, the remastered video footage, the cleaned up dub audio, and the new 5.1 dub mix are supposed to be incentive. The commentaries are there for the people (like me) who care.

9. Er.. right. "additional incentive," that should've been. The remastered footage is incentive enough on its own.