Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Minor Contribution

1. A Minor Contribution

I feel a little guilty, because I have great contributors here, and everyone gets along, but aside from making up monthly challenges (which no one seems to want to get in on *cough*), I don't post much.

I just finished three projects over the pas two weeks. The first two are oil paintings for one class; the last is a watercolor 'reproduction' for another. I just realized how evil indoor lighting and/or flashes can be on paintings, so these guys look a bit washed out. Then again, it's the best I have...can't really scan these things. ^^U
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

2. I don't give two shits about abstract, so I don't care about the first. Sorry.

The middle one looks a random cat and dog overlooking a fight from something Star Wars-related, and the oddity of such a thing amuses me. If it had been a lightsaber battle I would probably post a cash offer for it.

The FLCL one is good technically but I don't like the scrapbook look of it, all the pictures seemed too detached from each other and it has no overall flow. Maybe if it had been more movie poster/collage-style with just the character pictures overlapping and different sizes without clearly placed backgrounds for each seperate one I'd like it more.

3. FLCL, not bad at all. Likewise with MechDues, I don't care for abstract, but the others aren't bad.

4. I don't care for abstract, either, but it was required. So... ^^

The second one was based off of a photo collage. I found the dog and cat in home decor mags, and the Star Wars Galaxies pic in the foreground was from GI. I wish I had found one with lightsabers, now... =(

The second was fun, despite the fact that I had painted on it almost everyday, and 11 hours straight on the day before it was due. The thing I really don't care for in art (but it's a personal thing I put on myself), is that I never feel 'finished' with stuff. So turning in work ius a pain, because I always find something I'm not happy with.

The third was going to be more of a 'true' collage, but for some insane reason, I liked the patterned look of this more. Not to mention it ALMOST reminded me of the manga scenes in the show. Almost.

How big are those?

6. Mediocre abstract is meh, really awesome abstract will blow your mind. Most people who say they dislike abstract have yet to be exposed to great abstract pieces.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

7. Quote Originally Posted by sunshine
    Mediocre abstract is meh, really awesome abstract will blow your mind. Most people who say they dislike abstract have yet to be exposed to great abstract pieces.
    The more something is tied to telling a story the more I like it, since I feel art has always been a medium designed for such things. The only story abstract can convey is whatever people feel like making up on the spot limited only by their ability to bullshit and pull random words out of their ass. A lot of art is simply "there" and doesn't do or tell dick, hence I think most art is worthless crap.

While I may not like Yoshitaka Amano's style very much (he has great ideas but the drawings beneath the paint look on the technical level of an average high-schooler) I did love his Hero series and Dream Hunters, just because they actually had something behind them. And no, I don't count a person's personal struggle to create art a story for their art to tell.

P.S. This doesn't count if it's cubist. I don't care if a story is being told, cubism looks like crap regardless.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Icepick
    How big are those?
    First: 24" x 36"

Second: 24" x 30"

Third: roughly 20" x 20"

9. You've definitely improved man. I'd go as far to say that I would be proud to hang those up in my room.