Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A suggestion for TNL reviews

1. A suggestion for TNL reviews

Is it possible to slightly modify the reviews so questions and comments about the review can be seen at the end of it?

While the feedback forum is nice, I generally don't ask many questions here because I don't feel I would get the answered. For example, I am one of those people that stops playing many games because of camera issues(like DMC), and I wanted to know if the problem with the platforming in Breakdown was due to the camera or controls(which I am less anal about).

A character limited(say ~30 chars) comments box at the bottom would be nice. If you made it so that only people who registered in the forum could comment, you could eliminate most of the "OMFG j00 SuXX0rs!!11" posts... well maybe.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Damian79
    While the feedback forum is nice, I generally don't ask many questions here because I don't feel I would get the answered.
    All of the reviewers are posters here so you've got a really good chance of them answering anything you post. As much as you would from a comments box in the review itself, anyway.
    [...] and I wanted to know if the problem with the platforming in Breakdown was due to the camera or controls(which I am less anal about).
    Mostly because it was lots of really tiny platforms which meant really precise jumps (Metroid Prime certainly knew better). The game just wasn't made to perform such a task but they tried to make it do so anyway.

3. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus
    All of the reviewers are posters here so you've got a really good chance of them answering anything you post. As much as you would from a comments box in the review itself, anyway.Mostly because it was lots of really tiny platforms which meant really precise jumps (Metroid Prime certainly knew better). The game just wasn't made to perform such a task but they tried to make it do so anyway.
    When you say "really precise jumps" do you like in castlevania 64 where you had to jump right at the very edge of the platform and at the exact straight angle to the other platform or fall off? Or was it less evil?

4. While we're at it, Mech, how long was Breakdown? I was meaning to ask.

And, Damian, you will almost certainly get an answer if you ask in the thread that accompanies the review. If not, PM the author (if you know his board ID) or me. Most reviewers also have links to their profiles in their signatures at the end of the review. If they don't now, it's just because we are redoing profiles at the moment. Right now, PM's and posts are the most reliable means to get answer, with posts strongly preferred. That way others can benefit from the answer.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Damian79
    When you say "really precise jumps" do you like in castlevania 64 where you had to jump right at the very edge of the platform and at the exact straight angle to the other platform or fall off? Or was it less evil?
    There was about enough space to stand on most of the platforms, moving was pretty much out of the question. You've got enough space for about a step or two, and then you have to leap through the air to land on another platform that's also about the size of your feet. There's also a bunch of moving platforms to ride on which don't really have enough room to actually stand on, if you don't hug the center of the platform (which has a large tube, you're actually standing on the circular edge) there's a chance you could fall off for no discernable reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    While we're at it, Mech, how long was Breakdown? I was meaning to ask.
    Took me about 15 hours my first time through, IIRC.

6. Wow, looks like I have to rent the thing before I could tell if I could stand those bits enough to get through them.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Damian79
    Wow, looks like I have to rent the thing before I could tell if I could stand those bits enough to get through them.
    When he says late in the game he means it, you won't even see a platform until well past the half way point. So that might make it hard to judge on a rental. I actually thought the platforming worked well, thanks to the ledge grabbing mainly. Get Derrick close to the side and he'll pull himself up with a very smooth, realistic animation.

However that section does disserve criticism. I consider it the most repetitive part of the game.

I think anyway... Mech:
    You're talking about that red/black place where you platform up a bunch of spirals, fight some baddies, then do the same thing another 5 or so times right? Then ANOTHER 5 times after you do the time warp. It would've been great if the super jump let you bypass the platforming entirely, I really expected that's where they would go with it. Sort of how you could skip groups of baddies by jumping to higher ground.

Good review BTW, although it felt short to me.

8. Yep, that's what I was talking about.

9. My first platforming problem was:

Clearing the Jeep jump, I just couldn't get my timing right. Then, the first time I did I saw that Alex hadn't made it and I was worried I'd fucked up the ending. Took me a good hour before I made it again and just went on.
    Time for a change

10. I'll answer any questions asked, but then again I'm a total whore for readers. Of course, I can count the reviews I've done lately on the fingers of one foot, so I may not be the most useful one to say that.

James