Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: X-Box Disc Read Error

1. X-Box Disc Read Error

Launch X-Box, with the Thompson DVD Drive.

I've had problems with it before, where it would give me DRE's 4-5 times a day with Project Gotham Racing 2, so I opened it up, cleaned the lens and that seemed to fix things, while not totally eliminating them.

TOCA2 is the new bane of my X-box. I'm fairly certain it's not that game alone, as other games are giving me DRE's with increased frequency. It is now at the point where this has happened:

DRE during play. Restart.
    DRE on load up. Restart.
    DRE on load up. Restart.

That's within the last hour, mind you.

I know the disc is clean, it's brand new and I would rather not go down the route of removing the DVD drive and replacing it.

I'm wondering if anyone has had problems and solved them, or taken the bummer step of sending this thing to MS (cost? return time?).

It is not under warranty anymore, again, a launch US Xbox.

I've also heard rumors of some "Trade in your XB, pay 80 get a Halo XB bundle" deals from EB, but cannot find that on their site.

2. What the hell do you people do with your damn consoles? If it worked perfect when I bought it at launch, my consoles work perfect until the end of the gen.

3. Its not so cut and dry with an Xbox though, I had exactly the same problem as Matt (US Launch Xbox with a Thomson drive) I hardly played it and put it back in the box when not in use.

It would just refuse to run games and give the disc read errors for no apparent reason, In the end I just sold it as it was really not worth the perseverance.

The Thomson drives should never have been released.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Kron
    Its not so cut and dry with an Xbox though, I had exactly the same problem as Matt (US Launch Xbox with a Thomson drive) I hardly played it and put it back in the box when not in use.

It would just refuse to run games and give the disc read errors for no apparent reason, In the end I just sold it as it was really not worth the perseverance.

The Thomson drives should never have been released.
    Damn. I apologise for the earlier comments then.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Damian79
    What the hell do you people do with your damn consoles? If it worked perfect when I bought it at launch, my consoles work perfect until the end of the gen.
    I bought a console that was manufactured with a shitty DVD drive by the cheapest maker which happens to have a high failure rate and short lifespan.

That's what the hell I did to my console.

6. Quote Originally Posted by MVS
    I bought a console that was manufactured with a shitty DVD drive by the cheapest maker which happens to have a high failure rate and short lifespan.

That's what the hell I did to my console.
    Which in reality, isn't that different from buying a Playstation 1 (grey model) or a PS2.

My launch Xbox started giving me shit around the time Enter the Matrix came out, so I feel your pain.

7. MVS, Buy one of those CD's that clean that lens, those seem to work pretty good and will fix the problem four out of five times, if that doesnt work than you could always buy a new laser as opposed to buying a new dvd drive, it'll be cheaper ( usually 20-30 dollars on ebay ) and you can learn how to install one easily at this website : www.llama.com/xbox

8. Unless you want ot lose all the info on the hard-drive, I suggest getting a new DVD-Drive and installing it yourself. It is easy as pie.

PS: Warrantee will be voided. Blah blah blah.

http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/xbox_dvd_repair.htm

9. Ill install it for you free of charge if you dont want to attempt it yourself.

Of course you pay for shipping and the new drive

Shipping would make it more expensive then doing it yourself but the offer stands none the less....

10. Mine went to shit long ago as well. I should replace the drive at some point, but I've been too lazy to do it.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.