Thread: TNL Galleria FAQ

1. TNL Galleria FAQ

Originally posted at Shoryuken.com on 5/29/01; Information subject to change at any time...

Q: What's this FAQ for? (Modified 5/29/01)

A: Just a small guide that I have decided to create specifically for the Fan Art gallery. Many over the past few months have inquired about how images can be posted, the type of art, and so forth. In order to minimize those type of threads going up, this Q/A FAQ has been created so that all questions can be answered on one thread. It was not created as a domain for general Q/A. These guidelines have been created so that regular and newcomers can get the best experience from sharing their art creations. On occassion, the FAQ may be modified or updated to reflect various changes or additions to keep members informed about the Fan Art forum.

Q: What type of art can I post here?

A: Anything that you have personally drawn (unless you have a friend that doesn't own a PC and you're posting it for them)...it's ok, as long as you're not trying to pass it off as your own...that's wrong. There are no conditions to the theme of your pics, though we ask members to post spoilers if their pics should contain partial or full nudity (as not everyone necessarily agrees to see pictures in that form).

Q: Can we post original works here as well?

A: Yup, if you wish to post original work; cool, that's fine too. I stress "original" artwork. Please don't try to impress others showing off work that you didnt' personally draw, because somewhere down the line, you're going to get caught and basically make yourself look foolish. Don't make problems here, be honest and you'll discover it will be more enjoyable doing so.

Q: How can I post pictures?

A: Because the attachment feature is disabled, you will need to have your images hosted on a server.

Q: I posted an image that's hosted online, but I can't see it...

A: This has become an increasing problem for many users that have their images hosted on free domains such as Geocities, Xoom, Angelfire, etc. The best solution would be post the url as is (refer to the general FAQ for additional details using vB Code or HTML.

Forum visitors in turn would need to copy/paste the URL into their browsers to view the image. There is no other resolution to correct the matter as these domains have set up their serves to prevent linking of their images unless accessed via the owner's website directly.

Going forward with that knowledge in mind, please do not make excessive posts if you are using one of the websites above, or you attempt to use the attachment feature, as these difficulties will arise...posting 'why doesn't it work?' will not solve it.

Q: I am not much of an artist, so can I post wallpapers or animated gif related?

A: Wallpaper creations as I've seen now and then are fine. However, I ask that your works posted here are reasonably sized (remember folks, loading images from numerous users does INCREASE bandwidth). Any images, whether fanart or wallpaper should never be larger than the default size of the board...it looks very tacky, and there are a number of users that don't necessarily want to wait for your image to take a year to load

Q: So, what size should my pics be when posting?

A: I've decided that the pictures should not exceed 700x700 pixels in height/width. If your original picture just so happens to be larger than this, a solution would be to create a "thumbnail" and provide a link so that others can access it. This way the forums are not warped (a problem encountered at SRK)

I ask that everyone try their best to be conscious of the pixel size when posting. Or at best, to use the preview function first.

Q: What about posting topics, like image request, contests, problems with linking, etc?

A: As long as it stays within the borders of fanart, then registered members are welcome to post any 'art-related' topics in the Art Univ. If you have something that you like to specifically address to a member here, use the Private Message feature...if at all possible, please don't create a post. Anything that is considered unrelated to the Fan Art gallery will be moved to the appropriate forums.

Q: You know...I don't like so-and-son, they're so #$#@$!@ annoying!

A: Any blatant disrespect towards anyone on this board will also not be tolerated. If you have anything to personally say about someone, take it up with them on your own means, don't use this forum (or any other part of the forum to conduct your 'hate', (that includes spamming them with insults via private messaging).

Q: Hey Bahn...you know, you're cool ?

A: Am not

In contrast to all this negative stuff, don't suck up either, it won't win you any special attention or karma points (which to my knowledge has been terminated), this includes drawing any pictures of Chun Li just to get on my good side. ^_^

Q: I'd like to test my signatures, where should I do this?

A: Use the Official Test thread in Suggestions/Feedback.

Q: If I want people to download something, how do I do this?

The attachment feature is disabled.

Q: Can I create polls?

A: Yes, in the Art University thread, provided it is based on an art related theme. There's a checkbox that you can click when creating a new thread, once you're done with your post, you'll see a series of fields that you fill out (and are rather self-explanatory). When you've completed the poll, the thread will be updated and users will then be able to participate and/or view the results.

Q: What about art requests? (Added 5/29/01)

A: Post in the Art Request board. Please do not spam the board with requests or nag the designated artist(s) with your personal visions (they have lives too ya know?)

Q: What if I have a question that's not listed here in this FAQ? (Updated 5/29/01)

A: Post it here on this thread and I'll get back to you with an answer. If I find that it's a recurring question, I will update the FAQ so that others who may have that question in the future will be able to easily find the answer. Please only ask questions that involve the Fanart board directly...as in posting, removing pics, contests, etc. Do not post questions asking Where's Waldo, or something that you can PM me (or another member). In order to reduce the level of additional threads that involve requests and such, I encourage everyone to utilize the PM feature.

Once again, drop by the FAQ section so that you can familiarize yourself with the changes (provided you're a regular here). If you're a newcomer, I definitely recommend it...this helps to alleviate lots of errors, recurring questions, and my own desire not to say things over and over. ^_^

2. Also, by putting "??" at the end of the URL of an image hosted by Geocities, Angelfire, etc, it should show up on the page without copying and pasting.

3. And for the especially lazy, just add a space to the end of the URL .

4. ah yes, good point Dunlap!

5. Where do I put my crayons?
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."