Thread: Need help converting midi files to cellphone rings

1. Need help converting midi files to cellphone rings

When I make my own ringtones I usually use a program called PureVoice to convert wav files into .qcp files. I have to downsample the mp3s first, and edit them into like, 20 second bites, but then I have no problem converting.

I recently got a bunch of midi files I'd like to use as ringers, but I don't know how to get them on my phone. Anyone know?

2. Quote Originally Posted by Korly
    When I make my own ringtones I usually use a program called PureVoice to convert wav files into .qcp files. I have to downsample the mp3s first, and edit them into like, 20 second bites, but then I have no problem converting.

I recently got a bunch of midi files I'd like to use as ringers, but I don't know how to get them on my phone. Anyone know?
    I use pcspix.com. It's free (for the frist 10 uploads per e-mail address/login) and also supports java and pictures.

I always cut the midi files to under 30 seconds (since that's all that will play on a normail ring anyway) with the JAZZ midi sequencer.

Yay.

You might want to experiment with midi patches since some phones sound better with certain ones etc. For example, the Dr. Mario chill theme sounded funny on my 4900 but awesome on my wifes 8100 until I changed some of the instrument patches to ones that the 4900 liked better.

3. Do you have a program that will edit MIDIs though? I tried cakewalk, but I couldn't figure it out. I use Goldwave for editing everything else.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Korly
    Do you have a program that will edit MIDIs though? I tried cakewalk, but I couldn't figure it out. I use Goldwave for editing everything else.
    Here's the JAZZ midi sequencer I use. It's open source and great.

Yay.

5. Ok, this program is making me feel really stupid.

I can't seem to properly edit anything. If I just cut out all of the music except the first 30 seconds or so, it'll play the part I want, and then have 3 more minutes of blank space. Also, the help file seems to be missing.

All I want to do is isolate the first 30 or so seconds of a song and then use it as a file to upload to PCSpix, do you know what I need to do Six?

EDIT: I got it cut down, and uploaded to my phone, but it does sound funny. And, it sounds kinda quiet. As far as the filters go, do I just need to randomly try filters, and then upload them until I find a good one, or is there one you reccomend?

If you're still having trouble I'll do it for you next time I'm by your place.

I didn't get a degree in MIDI engineering for nothing!

7. Excellent.

8. Does your phone support polyphonic ringtones? If so, you might be able to just download the MIDI file to your phone and have it work without any more hassle.

If you have QuickTime, and happen to somewhere find a key to upgrade it to Pro, QT Player can edit MIDI files pretty easily. That's how I crop all of the files that I want to use as ringtones.

If you have internet access on your phone, and have a phone that allows direct file downloads, go try out the mobile version of my website. (petite.morningmayo.com) I have some MIDI file ringtones on there for download. They are all J-pop stuff, but if you're just testing, I doubt it matters what they are.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

Your phone rings Jpop?

I never would have guessed...

10. Quote Originally Posted by Icepick
    Your phone rings Jpop?

I never would have guessed...
    You know what's even more unbelievable? The background picture on my phone is a... *gasp*... Japanese girl.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.