Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Howl's Moving Castle

1. I think if more people knew people who'd recommend good books to them, they'd read them. Honestly, as a non-book reader, I don't know of anything outside of Harry Potter that I feel like I "shoud read".

I don't think Howl's is written as well as Harry Potter. Actually, the writing style is a lot closer to HP book 1 than the later books, but the later books got more serious.

Howl's has more happen in fewer words and sometimes there are quirky british phrases that throw me off. It's still fantastic and quite different from the movie in a lot of ways.

Dunlap if you want a good book to read, try any one of these:

Sci-Fi: Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. Boy supergenius is enrolled in a last-starfighterish/halo type government program to save the planet from crazy alien bugs, and it's really good. A 6 on the "Heavy" meter.

Catch-22: Still my favourite book ever. It's a very funny book, but it's a dark comedy. It deals with a bomber group in Italy in WWII, and is written to show the surreality and horrors of life in the military. I plowed through the whole thing in a couple days, but if you don't read much it could be a difficult read. 8 on the "heavy" meter.

Redwall by Brian Jacques is a light medieval fantasy-type book where forest creatures are the main characters. Written for young adults, I liked it a lot when I was 13 and still like it now. His later books are very formulaic so it got tiring, but the first one was great. Easily digestable, has some fun mystery elements like Indiana Jones where the main character explores clues in the castle and forest to uncover an artifact of power.
    "3" on the heavy meter.

Give one a shot. And then check out the Recommended Reading thread here on TNL.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Dunlap
    I think if more people knew people who'd recommend good books to them, they'd read them. Honestly, as a non-book reader, I don't know of anything outside of Harry Potter that I feel like I "shoud read".
    If you enjoy things with a futuristic lean to them, I highly recommend Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. It's the story of a man attempting to figure out how a computer virus managed to hurt one of his friends in the real world. One of my favorite books ever, I consider this a must-read.

For something with a similar sense of style but breezier and less focused on the technicalities Jennifer Government is a great quick read (it took me an afternoon to read through).

Really a lot of it depends on the themes you enjoy. Do you like stories about normal life, fantasy, sci-fi; do you prefer them serious, humorous, tongue-in-cheek... or are you open to anything so long as it's good?

4. Finally caught this film on OnDemand.

MASTERPIECE! I am in awe. The dubbing was pretty damn good as well.

awesome awesome awesome.

5. Meh, this movie was a let down for me. It's not on par with his other great films like Castle in the Sky, or Nausica.
    Dont be a robot, be human.
    PSN: Di3heart

6. I read the book! I liked it more than the movie.