Thread: Is Digital Leisure just plain incompetent?

Is Digital Leisure just plain incompetent?

I have a few theories here on why Dragon's Lair and its brethren aren't arcade perfect on DVD:

1) God Himself crafted the finely tuned laserdisc arcade games (with the help of Don Bluth, of course).
    2) Space aliens, after watching the Secret of Nimh, captured Don Bluth and used him to make the most technologically advanced games known to man (they MUST be, since they've yet to be replicated).
    3) The people that work at DL are complete morons who can't, hypothetically, code their collective way out of a paper sack.

I've bought Dragon's Lair so many times now... it sucked on Sega CD, it sucked on PC CD-ROM, and now it sucks on DVD... HOW CAN IT SUCK ON DVD!?

The transfer isn't perfect... lotta graininess and pixellation in some scenes. But you know what? I can live with that. It's just that the TIMING is screwed to hell. In the game, there are certain visual clues that kinda nudge you in the right direction (i.e. a door flashing, an item flashing, slime covering 3 of your 4 escape routes, etc.). Now, in the arcade, ESPECIALLY in the early levels, you could survive on reflex alone. Yes, it was possible. NOW, on DVD, the input window (actually demonstrated by a small rhombus at the corner of the screen) opens and closes MUCH earlier than before, making the game a completely unenjoyable guessing game. As if that weren't enough, as if they weren't happy by just spitting on me, they go and kick me in the nuts by not only making the game expensive, but by screwing up scene changes... animations are rarely given enough time to finish, and are usually cut off seconds before they should end.

example: say you die at the hands (coils?) of a snake... the scene will change to show Dirk being constricted, and, as the shot ends, the screen starts turning black as the circular viewing area gets smaller and smaller (I forgot the name of this... think of beating a level in Super Mario World). The circle won't even finish closing before the DVD player stops the animation and loads up the next scene. And that's just one example; it happens ALL THE TIME!!

SLOPPY, SLOPPY, SLOPPY!

I hate them so much.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

2. STOP BUYING DRAGONS LAIR!

The game sucks, just stop buying copies of it.

3. two words for you:

!Hack job!
    http://www.bioweapons.com/images/GN3Guyvers.jpg

Most OVERRATED videogame of ALL Time

-GTA3

"Well, I have lots of impressions about the PS2 (smiles)...if you turn off that recorder I'll tell you some things (laughter)"
    -AM2's Yu Suzuki

4. Originally posted by Stone
    STOP BUYING DRAGONS LAIR!

The game sucks, just stop buying copies of it.
    Word!

Stone's ass once said... The game sucks, just stop buying copies of it.
    Sure thing, guy. Tell me what else I like and don't like. If it's any consolation, I haven't kept any of the crappy Dragon's Lairs.

Dragon's Lair (ARCADE, mind you) owns you and you know it. I feel for anyone who didn't get to play that beast back in the day when the hottest thing around, graphics-wise, was comparable to dog droppings. Sure, it's the deepest game around, but it was cool seeing how far your twitch skills got you. That's why all these poorly timed HACK JOBS are so lame... the take away the ONE thing that was fun about that damn game!

Plus, I'm a huge Don Bluth fan.

Also, I like Space Ace better ("I'll save you Kimmy!", "Get me outta here!").

WTFer420 never said anything truer than...!Hack job!
    It's so true.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery