12.1" iBook G4 @ 1.0GHz, 256MB RAM, Combo Drive. $1099
    14.1" iBook G4 @ 1.0GHz, 256MB RAM, Combo Drive. $1299
    14.1" iBook G4 @ 1.2GHz, 256MB RAM, Combo Drive. $1499

12.1" PowerBook G4 @ 1.33GHz, 256MB RAM, Combo drive. $1599
    12.1" PowerBook G4 @ 1.33GHz, 256MB RAM, SuperDrive. $1799
    15.2" PowerBook G4 @ 1.33GHz, 256MB RAM, Combo Drive. $1999
    15.2" PowerBook G4 @ 1.5GHz, 512MB RAM, SuperDrive. $2499
    17" PowerBook G4 @ 1.5GHz, 512MB RAM, SuperDrive. $2799
    The 12" Powerbooks come with the GeForce FX Go5200 (64MB RAM), while the 15" and 17" models come with the ATI Radeon Mobility 9700 (64MB RAM). The models with the 9700 can have that upgraded to 128MB RAM. The iBooks come with the ATI Radeon 9200 (32MB RAM).

2. I'm really tempted to get a 12" iBook so I can mess around in OS X and iLife '04, but I can't justify the cost when I have no use for a notebook. It's still a great deal though.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Johnny
    I'm really tempted to get a 12" iBook so I can mess around in OS X and iLife '04, but I can't justify the cost when I have no use for a notebook. It's still a great deal though.
    No use?

I used to be a desktop user, switched to a TiBook when I wanted something to take with me to Japan. I've never looked back. At this point, I'd loath going back to a desktop.

I'm really getting the itch to upgrade from my starting to be a bit pokey 550MHz TiBook, but no new laptop for me until they have "G5" written on the side of the box.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

4. If I traveled a lot than I'd get an iBook in a second, but that's not in the cards. Why have you sworn off desktops? I thought you were into desktop publishing.

5. A Powerbook can still hold its own for that sort of thing. Actually, I can get respectable frame rates in UT2004 on my 15" 1.25GHz PB. These machines are no slouches.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Lhadatt
    A Powerbook can still hold its own for that sort of thing. Actually, I can get respectable frame rates in UT2004 on my 15" 1.25GHz PB. These machines are no slouches.
    I really need to find out what's up with mine (although it's only a 1.0Ghz). Seems a lot slower than it used to be, and it can't run the UT2k4 demo very well...on any big map it just chugs. I reformatted the drive (as far as I can tell) and re-installed the OS, and it was faster, but after I re-installed all my software, mp3s, etc, it seems just as bogged down as before *shrug*

7. FuryFox - You running Panther?

/Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor

See what's eating up proc/memory.

Lhadatt - I would have been in here earlier with that info, except that I was busy.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    FuryFox - You running Panther?

/Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor
    No panther yet. I have a Process Monitor? -doesn't look like uses more than a single percent, unless it's a running application (i.e Safari, Photoshop).

9. I don't have a single machine with Jaguar or earlier on it in front of me. Hehe. All the Panther knowledge knocks the rest out.

But if Process Monitor doesn't show any other running apps using any memory or any CPU, you might want to get the hardware looked at.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    Lhadatt - I would have been in here earlier with that info, except that I was busy.
    Likely excuse.