Godzilla is stomping is way back into the video game scene once again, with a little help from Atari. Announcing the development of <b>Godzilla: Save the Earth</b>, the new action/adventure game will be faithfully recreate the fighting element seen in <a href="http://www.the-nextlevel.com/reviews/gamecube/godzilla"><i>Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee</i></a>.

In the single-player game, G-Force scientists have cracked Godzilla's genetic code from samples obtained during the Vortaak invasion. Scientists have refined the code to grow super-enriched "Godzilla-Matter" -- a virtually indestructible substance with the exact physical properties as Godzilla's radioactive back spikes. The Vortaak learn of the Godzilla Matter and strike Monster Island in an attempt to steal G-Cells and seize control of Earth's monsters. As Godzilla, the player awakens and fights to stop the UFOs from stealing G-Cells, and to free his fellow monsters from captivity. Throughout the game's missions, Vorticia sends waves of monsters, UFOs, mind-controlled military and earth-threatening devices at Godzilla, who must fight to defeat the enemies and find the hidden G-Cells before the UFOs can steal them.

<i>Save the Earth</i> will include nine game modes in total ranging from a brand new, single-player action mode to a variety of mini-games. Players will also be able to go one-on-one against another player, customize the parameters of a fight, and take the melee madness online, supporting up to four players at once.

Expect our resident Godzilla fan to be spending a great deal of time the game (if it's playable at E3), which should hold him over until its release on the PS2 and Xbox this Fall.