Thread: TNL Movie Club - "Grace: Love Undying"/"Away We Go"

1. TNL Movie Club - "Grace: Love Undying"/"Away We Go"

OK, I'm not sure if it breaks the rules to list TWO movies in the movie club thread, but I'm going to do it anyways.

Recently I've had the opportunity to check out two, smaller, non-blockbuster movies on Blu-Ray and I ended enjoying both movies for different vastly different reasons. However, both movies had the similar theme of motherhood, and both movies look at just how far a mother will go in order to ensure a good life for her baby. Although, both movies explore this theme from wildly different genres. One film is a HORROR movie, and the other film is an "indie comedy drama." I figured it would be kind of funny to watch both of these films back to back, and have a good laugh at the way different genres can approach the subject of mother hood.

So, without further introduction, the first film is a horror movie called

"Grace: Love Undying."

Plot synopsis: "When an accident takes the life of the unborn, 8-month-old fetus inside her, Madeline Matheson (Jordan Ladd) insists on delivering the stillborn child -- only to discover that the baby is alive and heinously hungry. Before long, voracious baby Grace spurns milk and forces Madeline to slake her insatiable appetite for blood. Paul Solet directs this masterful horror movie, while Gabrielle Rose and Stephen Park co-star." - Netflix

I want to make it clear however, that this is NOT a "slasher" flick. Instead, its more of a psychological thriller...that looks at how far a mother will really go. There is a quote on the back of my Blu-Ray case, that says this is more Stephen King-esque story telling than slasher movie, and I would have to agree with that. I didn't find this to be the scariest horror film, even though reports are that two men literally passed out when they showed this at Sundance, but I enjoyed it for the great sense of irony that was present throughout the film. Plus, the main character in the film, the mother of Grace, is a total MILF....and I think you at least see some side boob or some shit. lol.

Now, when you're done watching the horror film, go ahead and check out "Away We Go"

Plot Synopsis: "Buoyed by the news that they are expecting their first baby, Burt (John Krasinski) and Verona (Maya Rudolph) embark on a journey to locate the perfect place on the planet to raise their child. But their quest inevitably yields many unexpected surprises. Sam Mendes directs this quirky comedy while Allison Janney, Catherine O'Hara, Josh Hamilton, Jim Gaffigan, Maggie Gyllenhaal and Jeff Daniels co-star." - Netflix

Needless to say, this is one of those quirky little "indie dramedy" films (i.e. Little Miss Sunshine, Sideways), so your mileage on this one may vary...depending on how much you can stomach these types of films. However, I found this to be an insanely enjoyable movie, with a great message, and a lot of heart. There is some good talent working here too; its directed by Sam Mendes (American Beauty, Jarhead, Revolutionary Road), and you get to see Jeff Daniels and Maggie Gyllenhal at their comedic bests...this also stars some broad from Saturday Night Live...but I don't watch that show, so I have no idea what she is normally like. What is so fun about this movie, is the fact that its essentially a road trip movie, where the young couple (looking for the perfect home to raise their baby) basically go from state to state and talk shit about everyone they come across....because its obvious they think they're better than everyone else

Also, please have some fun deciding which movie is "funnier" and takes a more "ironic" look at parenthood....the horror movie....or the yuppy "indie dramedy"...because thats the main reason I grouped these two films together in this thread

But yeah...be sure to discuss...even if you just give one of these movies a watch.

2. I saw Grace recently. Its very well shot an acted, but its awfully slow. I did enjoy it though, and its substantially better than your usual straight to dvd horror fare.

3. Quote Originally Posted by arjue View Post
    and its substantially better than your usual straight to dvd horror fare.
    I always forget about this...I just assume it made it to theaters. Its a well made movie, so I don't understand why it did not get a theatrical release after its run at Sundance Film Festival.

Also, maybe I was just in the mood for that type of movie, but I didn't think it was too slow paced.

4. I've had Grace for almost a month and just got around/in the mood to watch it. It was great, really, really great. It's a slow burn but the movie is only like 75 minutes so the payoffs come at good times. It's always interesting and it's a very well made film. Great direction and cinemtography and the actors all really sell it.

It's not that violent or scary, but it's really fucking creepy. Great idea that really came through on film. The extras on the DVD are really good, I can see this new director really going places. I'm impressed.