Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perfect Blue DVD

lithium Guest

Perfect Blue DVD

I picked this up last night. I saw it in the theater when it first came out and I really liked it. But I can't watch the DVD. The subtitles are off by like 3-5 seconds. It's surprisingly disturbing to have them out of sync like that. I even switched it over to the dub (the dub's actually not half bad). Is this the case with this DVD? Do I have a bad one? Is it even possible for one copy to be bad in this way?

Oh, and it's definitely not a bootleg.

2. Been meaning to watch this. Good thing I like dubs.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

3. I never really noticed it before (I watch the dubbing usually), but yeah the subtitles are definitely out of sync. Sorry.
    Time for a change

4. stupid Manga

5. I've only watched it with the english dub so far. I'll pop in my copy today though and check on the subs to see if they are off on my version.

lithium Guest
    Wow, do you guys always default to the dub? I always go straight to the subs. The vast majority of my anime I've never watched the dubbed versions of.

7. Quote Originally Posted by lithium
    Wow, do you guys always default to the dub?
    Yup. I don't like to read TV.

I don't want another dub/sub debate to break out again. If you prefer subs I really don't give a shit. To each his own.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

8. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    Yup. I don't like to read TV.

I don't want another dub/sub debate to break out again. If you prefer subs I really don't give a shit. To each his own.
    My opinion exactly.

If you also add in that what good does it do too hear the prper emotion in japanese, when you aren't understanding the words anyway? Connection proper voice pich with reading is not means for a good show. It was never intended to be viewed that way just so you know.

"Hey bob"

"Yeah yoshi-san?"

"Let's make a show were everyone in our country just watches and understands it, but in other countries they fucking read the bottom of the screen instead of paying attention to the animation all the time!"

"your an idiot yoshi. Let's just dub it."

Thank god for bob.

lithium Guest
    Sure. And I'm all for good dubs (I always watch Goldenboy, Cowboy Bebop and various others dubbed). But what about the awful, autrocious dubs? Most dubs are embarrassingly bad, and I can barely sit through 5 minuts of it before I've got to turn it off.

I think subs are the lesser of two evils when tiny American localization companies can only afford such terrible actors. No, reading the anime was not the original creator's intent; but dear Lord, neither was watching it with ridiculous southern accents! (*coughmagicalshoppingarcadecough*)

But back on topic, Perfect Blue's dub is decent. It's good enough to watch it dubbed, and I'm happy with that. It's a pretty good movie. Mima's actress in particular did well, and she's the main character so that's good.

10. Quote Originally Posted by lithium
    Sure. And I'm all for good dubs (I always watch Goldenboy, Cowboy Bebop and various others dubbed). But what about the awful, autrocious dubs? Most dubs are embarrassingly bad, and I can barely sit through 5 minuts of it before I've got to turn it off.
    Golden Boy's dub was a goddamn work of art. I had no clue what to expect when I first saw it, I was trapped at my friend's lakehouse when the roads flooded to the point where driving was becoming impossible, so we threw a ton of episodes on... hilarious. I can't honestly imagine it any other way, because the guy's voice was just so perfect. Really fun show.

CB is one of those ones I can take either way and enjoy... I prefer English Faye to the Japanese voice a lot, and I prefer Japanese Ed and Vicious to the English ones, but other than that, to me, the majority of the voices were interchangable. That, and the whole western vibe a lot of episodes had going on really lends itself better to English, I'd think. I'd feel the same way about Trigun, especially considering that in the Trigun storyline, it's actually an English-speaking world... I mean, Vash cracks a joke about not being able to read Japanese once. However, I saw it all the way through in Japanese first, and I just can't get used to the English voices. I don't like them much at all.

More stuff the caliber of CB would always be welcome. I've been out of the loop for a while, most of the anime I've seen lately has just been fansubbed stuff off of Japanese TV. Have any majorly good high profile dubs shown up recently?