Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Phantom Menace......Love it or Hate it?

zidane747 Guest

The Phantom Menace......Love it or Hate it?

In light of the less-than-a-week-away release of Episode II, I thought we should have some nostalgia around here and have a thread of Episode I:The Phantom Menace. So, as the thread title says, do you love it or hate it? Please explain why also. Me?

I thought it was the greatest Star Wars film of all time. I have seen it 98 times(I will get to 100 by this thursday)and I'm still not tired of it one bit. I'm one of the biggest SW fans around, and I love them all, but TPM is the only movie that I can watch over and over again and not be bored. I still find the story great, the music amazing, and the SFX(while they don't matter much)excellent. The fight scenes were amazingly well-done, and when I saw them in the theatre I remember the looks on people's face when they saw them fighting. When Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are fighting Darth Maul in the generator room and the Duel of the Fates music is playing, I get goosebumps to this day. I even liked Jar Jar(he's there to represent that at that time before the Sith and the Republic, the galaxy was at peace with no worries whatsoever,besides the need for a character to atract kids). What's your opinion?

2. was not that bad in the theatres, although my girlfriend literally fell asleep, it was not until the DVD release that I realized what a piece of shit, over hyped movie this really was.

the CG looked like overdone fancy shit, the storyline was obviously geared towards the 5 - 10 year old age group, and the kid that played young Anakin made me want to choke on my own vomit. and the racial overtones were a disgrace to modern society. what the fuck was Lucas smoking???

i doubt the Episode II can save the shit that was Episode I.

The Matrix was the saviour of mainstream sci-fi IMO, replacing the childish, brain numbing crap Lucas put out.,
    -----------------------
    http://www.gamegen.com/fightgen/dhalsim-yyy.gif
    -----------------------

3. 100 TIMES?!?! Damn man. Damn. That just blows my mind.
    I loved it the first time I seen it in theatres and dvd. The other times I could have done without. I know it is a hugely flawed movie, but I really admire Lucas' abilitly to transport you into another world. I don't think the cg was overdone, but I personally think cg is just a tool like anything else. When it is done right, its incredible. I think alot of the hatred of Jar Jar comes from guys who seen the trailers and just wanted to see Darth Maul the whole movie. Jar Jar didn't make me wanna vomit, I'm just sad he wasn't that great a character.

4. Wrong forum.

And I didn't like this movie at all.

5. i don't know what was worse... Jar Jar being in the movie... or the absolutely PATHETIC acting by Anakin...

... still an enjoyable movie... nice action... nice CG... i just didn't like it as much as the first three...

6. Terrible movie. I really wanted to like it, but I just can't watch it all the way through. It's just so fucking boring.

"I can only say that there is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do to see a plan adopted for the abolition of slavery." - Tommy Tallarico

7. I enjoyed the movie thoroughly. Jar Jar was irritating as hell, and Jake Lloyd (Anakin) couldn't act worth a shit, and the two of them tag-teamed to drag the movie down a star.

But the story was interesting, if a little convoluted, Maul was a badass, Lliam Neeson played a great, wise Jedi Master with a rebellious streak, and Ewan McGregor was a PERFECT young Obi-Wan. I expect him to duplicate the feat in Episode 2. And the final Duel of the Fates sequence was simply breathtaking. Damn Lucas for not offering a special feature on one of the DVD's just showcasing the whole duel without the mediocre Gungan/Droid, starfighter, and palace invasion sequences spliced in

I give it 2.5 stars on a scale of 4.
    omg TNL epics!

8. Hate. Jar Jar was annoying, the kid playing Anakin was pathetic, and the whole lightsaber duel at the end was VERY disappointing(some dialogue would've been nice...).

Best thing about that flick was the part the crew spent the most time working on(2-3 years): the pod race. The Sega arcade game based on that is hella wicked.

Here's hoping Lucas doesn't screw up Episode II.

9. Phantom Menace..I don't love it or hate it.

I just love Natalie Portman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex Ranza View Post
    Halverson had me totally convinced of Cybermorph's greatness, I'll tell you that much.

Then I got a Jag, took it home, and something seemed... not right.

10. Well, Hated it. I posted plenty of my opinions about that film, and Darth Maul duel and Jar Jar. How could they screw up that great fight like that.????? Damn you Lukas

Still looking forward seeing Attack of the Clones next week. Hope it will be better, and Lukas learned on some of the mistakes.