Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123457 ... LastLast

Thread: Sega CD

Don't worry, I'm not keeping notes. I just thought Strider and G&G were pretty much universally liked games so anything less than praise for them sticks out.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda
    Voice acting didn't really get bad until later, I think. Alot of early "talkie" games like Space Quest 4, Sam and Max, day of the Tentacle, Snatcher, etc had great voice acting.
    I don't know, for every good Lucasarts voice job in the pre-Jill Sandwich era there seemed to be several horrible voice jobs by other companies.

2. Yeah. Let me tell you, it's not always easy bein' the hater.

3. I hate Strider as well, god do I hate that game.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Sqoon
    While on the topic, does anyone know how to play an official Sega CD beta? I have a Magic Knight Rayearth beta and I'm very very curious about it...
    Is it a pressed beta or a copy?

5. Quote Originally Posted by Sqoon
    While on the topic, does anyone know how to play an official Sega CD beta? I have a Magic Knight Rayearth beta and I'm very very curious about it...

Are you sure that's not a Saturn beta?

6. This is what you'll need:

Digital Comics

- Snatcher
    - Rise of the Dragon
    - Space Adventure (was decent and is a good play if you find it cheap).
    - Mansion of Hidden Souls (not really a DC but in the same vein and fun to play)

RPGs

- Vay
    - Lunar the Silver Star
    - Lunar Eternal Blue
    - Popful Mail (read my review!)
    - Eye of the Beholder (awesome music, a long quest, and using mode B allows you to move around with the D pad, unlike the SNES version).
    - Dark Wizard (one of the best early tactical/RPGs out there. Read my review!)
    - Shining Force CD (both Game Gear games plus a bonus battle using all the heroes!)
    - Dungeon Explorer (like Gauntlet but with great music and decent gameplay. Read my review!)

Shmups

- Robo Aleste
    - Android Assault (Bari Arm)
    - Lords of Thunder
    - Sol Feace
    - Keio: Flying Squadron

Platformers

- Earthworm Jim SE (best version out there).
    - Wonder Dog (cute and fun little romp)
    - Mickey Mania (great music and an exclusive level)
    - Sonic CD (you have that)
    - Flink (great game but no saves or passwords!)
    - Terminator (same as the Genesis version but with terrific music by Tommy Tallarico)
    - Final Fight CD (not a platformer, but...Still has great gameplay, all the levels, 2 player action, and awesome music).
    - Ecco the Dolphin (same as the Genny rev but with redbook music).
    - Ecco: The Tides of Time (same as the other Ecco).
    - Spider-Man vs. Kingpin (better than the Genny game with additional levels, bosses, and cut scenes).

Additional

- Road Avenger/Cobra Command/Time Gal (cool for the anime and story but simple "press and watch" gameplay)
    - Hook (same as the Genny version but with the great soundtrack).
    - Eternal Champions (more levels and death cut scenes)
    - Batman Returns (same as the Genny game but with driving and flying scenes and better music).
    - Sipheed (not as impressive now, but a decent shmup).
    - Secret of Monkey Island (not sure how it holds up vs. the PC version but is worth having).

Avoid

- Anything Digital Pictures
    - Adventures of Willy Beamish
    - Dungeon Master II

Sorry for the review plugs.

7. Is it a pressed beta or a copy?
    Pressed:

Though I haven't tried burning it to remove whatever 'copy protection' it may have.

8. Weird, what is that Rayearth disc? I mean, it's possible that Sega started working on a Rayearth game near the bitter end of Mega Cd...but this is the first I've heard of it. Bizarre. Wonder if it's a Saturn beta burned to a Mega Cd-r or something. How did you find such an oddity?
    shane_

9. Quote Originally Posted by thray-walsh
    Weird, what is that Rayearth disc? I mean, it's possible that Sega started working on a Rayearth game near the bitter end of Mega Cd...but this is the first I've heard of it. Bizarre.
    Yeah, the possibility of having a translated (partially or whatever) never-released game...I get a big lump in my throat whenever I think about it.

Wonder if it's a Saturn beta burned to a Mega Cd-r or something. How did you find such an oddity?
    I live in the Bay Area so I occasionally find weird video game junk in Goodwills and flea markets. I don't doubt the veracity of this one since this was in a pile of Sega Saturn betas (I use the Game Shark to play those).

A Saturn beta on a Mega CD-R...I didn't think of that possibility. I'll try that once I get the time.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Sqoon

A Saturn beta on a Mega CD-R...I didn't think of that possibility. I'll try that once I get the time.
    Cool.. well, if it doesn't work on your Saturn, I'll happily offer my Bay-Area located Mega Cd to see what happens there... ;p
    shane_