Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 24567810 ... LastLast

Thread: Sega CD

1. Quote Originally Posted by raystorm
    Music composed by gods??!!! eh??? are ye deaf?? The music is crap!!
    Maybe you're thinking of the original 1988 PC version. :P The Sega CD game's music was awesome, though I wish it was all redbook instead of half redbook / half PCM. Overall, though -- lovely.

2. Quote Originally Posted by skelly
    Maybe you're thinking of the original 1988 PC version. :P The Sega CD game's music was awesome, though I wish it was all redbook instead of half redbook / half PCM. Overall, though -- lovely.
    Well..to each his own.. but I thought the music in each stage could've been done on a genesis.

3. Wow, I don't think so in the least. Not to knock the Genny sound chip, which I like, but it couldn't come lose to reproducing most of Silpheed's music.

Hrm, wish I had some MP3s now. ^_^

4. Hello, all! Sega CD lovin' Caféman here!

Mmmkay, Melf summed it up nicely, I thought. I particularly liked his comments on Terminator CD's awesome Tommy Tallarico tunes, because they are indeed awesome. IN fact though, the Sega CD version of Terminator is far, far superior to any of the Genesis Terminator games -- incredible music during gameplay, plus extended levels and far better animation and control.

Some of you guys might find this interesting: I was talking with Tommy T. recently, and mentioned to him one particular track on Terminator CD that always sent chills down my spine. At the end of the tune, you hear an young child's crib mobile playing its simple tune (absolutely HAUNTING in the context of playing a Terminator game!!), and some dad says "say bye-bye", the toddler then repeats in a whisper ... "bye-bye". If you ever heard this, you'll know what I mean, it is such a cool ending to the tune, and I always wondered about its origin. Tommy told me that this was a clip from an old home movie, featuring his father and himself as a young child. I thought that was just too cool.

Okay, my other Sega CD recommendations:

Mickey Mania CD because of the redbook audio and bonus level. Near-perfect presentation of the The Mouse!

Earthworm Jim CD, it has the blind dinosaur level named after Nick Bruty who worked on EJ with Shiny back then. "Big Bruty" heh heh! And the levels are extended at times. Surprisingly, Tommy Tallarico's Genesis soundtrack was so good , it isn't much improved even as Redbook audio on the Sega CD!

Eternal Champions CD: take the Genesis game, fix everything wrong with it and add 650 megabytes of additional stuff, and you have the CD version. It is a really cool 2D fighter, great sci-fi storyline, some cool gameplay and special moves, tons of unique (meaning non-clones) characters and plenty of secrets to unlock (use a FAQ!).

Both Ecco games, Batman Returns CD (I think John Austin was the name of the coder of the driving levels? He was really dialed into the Sega CD's scaling abilities), Sonic CD.

Man, I need to find somebody to burn copies for me; I foolishly sold my Sega CD & games years ago and I absolutely can't find a lot of these games anywhere.

5. Neat Tallarico story.

Quote Originally Posted by Cafeman
    Man, I need to find somebody to burn copies for me; I foolishly sold my Sega CD & games years ago and I absolutely can't find a lot of these games anywhere.
    You need to do nothing of the sort. These games are dirt-common. Try eBay.

6. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet
    I'd have to say Darius Gaiden (Saturn), Darius (Amiga) and Blood Money (Amiga) were the most boring shooters ever. Darius on the Amiga, had black backgrounds, with nothing but ships to avoid. The same with Blood Money.
    What the hell is wrong with Darius Gaiden? That game's a classic.

7. Well, I can remember getting all psyched for Silpheed after reading about it in Gamefan.
    i liked it then, and I like it now. It's one of those few games that has CD levels and that arcade feel.

The Adventures of Batman and Robin is pretty meh, but it has like a ton of cartoon footage in it that was never released anywhere else.

Was Cadillacs and Dinosaurs good at all? I love that license...

I also picked up this racing game, B.C. Racers, which was pretty good back in the day, but hasn't aged all that well =/

Quote Originally Posted by Kraftwerks
    It's one of those few games that has CD levels and that arcade feel.
    But the Sega CD DID NOT COME OUT FIRST!!
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

9. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo
    The Adventures of Batman and Robin is pretty meh, but it has like a ton of cartoon footage in it that was never released anywhere else.

Was Cadillacs and Dinosaurs good at all? I love that license...

I also picked up this racing game, B.C. Racers, which was pretty good back in the day, but hasn't aged all that well =/

But the Sega CD DID NOT COME OUT FIRST!!
    C&D was just another interactive cartoon. Move the cursor around and shoot. Was fun, and the animation was impressive for Sega CD, but nothing special in terms of gameplay.
    Check out my blog: ExHardcoreGamer.com

Like I said, I like the license... it should be worth the < $10 it goes for nowadays. Thanks.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery