Thread: Sinistar Unleashed

1. Sinistar Unleashed

I just learned about the existance of an update to Sinistar called Sinistar Unleashed. Looks like it came out for the PC awhile ago.

Has anyone played this? Impressions?

I played the demo back when it came out. It's nothing special, just a decent 3d arcade-ish action game. I can't say it tarnishes Sinistar's name because I don't consider that game a classic aside from the cool voices.

3. I worked on the game as one of the main testers (There was a long list of people in the credits but only 3 or 4 actually did any real work on the game), I also helped out with various other aspects of the game (as can happen at a small development company). It is the first commercially released game I ever worked on. So yes, I have played it.

PS: The originaly Sinistar was great IMO, but was one of the hardest arcade game at the time. Many people think the game is just unplayable because of the super-high level of difficulty.

As far as impressions: At the time it was one of the better looking games with 3D tech that pushed limits in certain areas and art direction that wasn't too shabby. The main problem with the way the game was made is that there was literally a war of two factions battling it out red faced using all the curse words you could imagine pushing for what they wanted the end product to be.

One side wanted the game to be easier, more approachable, more sellable, more marketable. The other side wanted a true homage to what they considered an arcade classic, crazy difficulty and barrier to entry included.

Thus, what ended up shipping was neither, and fell into obscurity.

I wish I could recommend this game, but the niche that this game should be catering to would not appreciate the decisions that made the original vision crumble. Check it out if it is SUPER cheap.

4. ...I just bought it for $7.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Zerodash
    ...I just bought it for $7.
    Yeah it's worth seven for sure.

"All creatures will DIE, and all things will be BROKEN: That is the law of the SAMURAI."