Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home Recording Software/Hardware

1. They have different protools packages for what you need. Just check the site. I've seen people running one of the smaller packages live at concerts off a G4.

Quote Originally Posted by Rtificial
    They have different protools packages for what you need. Just check the site. I've seen people running one of the smaller packages live at concerts off a G4.
    OK. Everything you can do on a Mac with Protools can be done cheaper on a PC with Nuendo, and a few other programs.

Yes Protools is a great application, I love it. But I can do 100% professional studio quality recordings on a PC for about 1/16th of the price.

3. You'll find the longer you do this that the program you use matters less than the front end hardware you have. Don't cheap out on a/d converters, preamps, and mics. No program in the world will help with shitty or even mediocre hardware.

If you've got the money I'd recomend a Great River MP-1NV preamp for a nice "colored" sound or an Avalon M5 preamp for a nice clean sound. I got the Great River myself. Love it to death. In the A/D converter department you can't go wrong with an Apogee Rosetta.

Oh, and even more important than all that is your monitoring system. Take the money you are planning to spend, and put over half of it towards the best monitoring system you can. I didn't do that. I wish I did... Remember, the monitoring system includes the room and the amp, not just the speakers.

We ended up getting six channels of pre. All tube.
    It sounds hot and sexy.

Right now were saving up for a Blue. Probably a baby bottle. With out mics, and our pre I could mix our album in fucking Cool Edit, and it'd still sound great.

Cheebs said it. You can use a $30,000 Pro Tools rig, but if your hardware sucks, you're recording will sound like donkey cock.