Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Takahata Ghibli films coming

1. Takahata Ghibli films coming

AICN-
    "From Nausicaa.net and Jagged Team Disney has tentatively planned releases of Ghibli's "Pom Poko", "My Neighbors the Yamadas" and "Only Yesterday" for a November DVD release. All three movies are written and directed by Isao Takahata rather his internationally better known Ghibli colleague Hayao Miyazaki.

Only Yesterday is based on a semi-autobiographical manga about an office worker in the 80's reminiscence about her childhood in the 60's.

My Neighbors the Yamadas is a films comprised of a series of shorts, based on a comic strip about family live. The movie, which was Ghibli's first 100 percent digital movie, utilized a technique of making the animation look like it was created with watercolors.

Pom Poko is the most fantastically of the three films, telling the story of shap shifting tanuki (raccoon dogs) as they deal with the encroachment of human development. The release of this movie should be interesting. Part of the tanuki lore involves the size of their testicles, and the movie does incorporate this, but Ghibli retained the editing and content rights on their films licensed to Ghibli, so how this handled should be worth watching. "

C'mon, let the kids have their giant racoon testicles.
    pwned by Ivan

2. What about his newest film, Howl's moving castle? Are we ever gonna see a theatrical release?

3. Howl's is a Miyazaki film. I'm sure it'll get released here just like Spirited and Mononoke.
    pwned by Ivan

4. Oops, you're right. I saw Ghibli and thought automatically. It's late.

5. Miyazaki is god. I don't know if this pther guy will step up the the standards Miyazaki has set for ghibli films in my eyes.

6. His films began in the 80's (maybe 70's) for Ghibli. His most famous film is Grave of the Fireflies. The movies coming out in Nov aren't new, they're just coming to US dvd for the first time.
    pwned by Ivan

7. Quote Originally Posted by Green
    His films began in the 80's (maybe 70's) for Ghibli. His most famous film is Grave of the Fireflies. The movies coming out in Nov aren't new, they're just coming to US dvd for the first time.
    Wait, he's the guy who did grave of the fireflies?

Well that is my least favorite Ghibli film I've seen so far. It's good, but only sad. Not my style. I like Miyazakis mystical stuff. I dont know how exited I am about these now.

I'll just have to wait for Howl to get my fix.

8. Never seen any of the 3 movies coming out, but I'm pretty sure they're not near as sad as Fireflies.
    pwned by Ivan

9. Quote Originally Posted by Green
    Never seen any of the 3 movies coming out, but I'm pretty sure they're not near as sad as Fireflies.
    Fireflies was teh sads, I'll agree with you on that one. Though I think NaT,HaT comes pretty close.

10. Only Yesterday is a wonderful film. I can't wait to own it. Pom Poko is fun and the Yamada's is good as well, but Only Yesterday is amazing.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.