Quote Originally Posted by Adrian
I had one of those when I first went to Japan and didn't get my moneys worth. Will consider it though if it seems worthwhile once i'm in the US.
It's not. The train service here sucks, and you get a better experience if you take the bus or drive IMO. America = highways and lots of them!

I've known people who've hitchhiked around the US and Canada, BTW. It's feasable, although you'll probably have some nutty stories to tell about it if you survive . I don't think that most people who pick up hitchhikers really are murderers, though.

Ideally i'd be doing this trip in an open top car. However I can't drive, can't afford it and a UK driving license probably wouldn't cut it ;p It's something i'd like to do some day though.
A UK license should be OK, actually. In this state at least, you're allowed to use a European license for 30 days or something from the time you arrive, and you can probably get away with using it for longer than that if you're just being a tourist. We get plenty of UK tourists here and many of them rent cars.

The logistics of buying a car and re-selling it later could be a big pain in the ass, though, especially if you're a foreigner.