Page 3 of 58 FirstFirst 12345717 ... LastLast

Thread: Iraq

1. Quote Originally Posted by Gohron
    In some ways I agree and in some ways I don't. My fear is that Kerry is gonna fuck it up 10 times worse with all of his budget cuts and his refusal to get troops body armor and more armored plates on the HMMVWs (just to name a few of his plans).
    Don't forget how Bush slashed VA benefits to help fund his war in Iraq. I hate to say it, but we're going to be fucked no matter. We are cannon fodder in a game that only rich and powerful men can play. I say this being in the military and facing a tour in Iraq myself.

It's funny how brave some of these computer chair chickenhawks can be from the safetly of their bedrooms.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Mfkzt
    It's funny how brave some of these computer chair chickenhawks can be from the safetly of their bedrooms.
    Fuck this word, and fuck you for using it.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Mfkzt
    Don't forget how Bush slashed VA benefits to help fund his war in Iraq. I hate to say it, but we're going to be fucked no matter. We are cannon fodder in a game that only rich and powerful men can play. I say this being in the military and facing a tour in Iraq myself.

But...you are in your computer chair right now? So you are different from use because of something YOU HAVE NOT EVEN DONE yet?

Also, Gohron is also going into the military if I recall correctly...
    your mom

4. This sucks. Bush is a nimrod and I've said so from day one, but the way this is going down it's nothing to gloat about. That's a messed up situation and whether I was totally against it in the first place, you guys need to win this one. Might as well send more troops and get it done with. Because I think everybody realizes the consequences could be pretty serious if this doesn't work.
    -Kyo

5. Quote Originally Posted by Stone
    Well, shit.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/02/in...02DIPL.html?hp

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/02/in...st/02ABUS.html

The one argument against the Iraq war that always made a bit of sense to me was the one that went something like: "dude, Bush is an idiot. Even if it is a good idea, he's not the one who is going to be able to pull it off, because he's too much of a coward to do something that would take him out of office." The thought cut, but I ignored it because I figured Bush's religious conviction was going to provide us the impetus we needed to do our job.

Well, I'll consider myself chastened.

We've taken a brilliant, brutal, heart-stopping, standard-mutating military victory in Iraq, a truly promising beginning, and have turned it into the same sort of Middle East fuckup that Carter (Iran), Reagan (Lebanon), Clinton (Mogadishu) pulled off - except on a larger, better lit stage. 1 year and countless billions later, we're back to being the American tough guys that cut and run as soon as our guys start getting killed - this is our version of Spain's cowardice, except it's our government, not the voters, that is doing the national-ass-fucking in this case.

Just when we needed to actually take a couple of risks in Falluja, say "damn the UN", and get the job done, Bush has collectively castrated our army and our country because the poll numbers are turning.

A handful of nonrepresentative vicious American bastards (the torturers, people who deserve to be strung up by their toenails in Camp Pendleton) have now dragged us down to the level of a bunch of Middle Eastern savages.

(Not like this needs to be said, but when was the last time you saw Al Jazeera dogpiling on one of their countries' own the way our news channels have been on our version of their evil? How about the last time you saw a country's president castigate one of his own soldiers in a similar way? We're outraged because this isn't normal for us. Thank God we live in this country and not one of the other ones.)

This Falluja retreat bullshit makes me fucking sick. Is there anyone who isn't a goddamned idiot or who has to get reelected in November that thinks this is a good idea?

Right war (for a million reasons), but, I think, the wrong president. What the hell is the point now? We're in the process of giving the country back to the secular Baathists (again). The best we can do now is to promise the Iraqis that we'll come back and kill any Baathist leader when he starts getting uppity.
    I've said the same thing a million times about this war, so I'm gonna say something a bit different. But first I have to agree with you on your right idea wrong president statement.

There must be a hundred different ways this war could have been a good thing, hell a thousand, and the fact is Bush did everything in his power to fuck it up.

You wanna know why I hate republicans. Because they never admit they did something wrong. Bush and his administration do not have the capacity to think like normal people. They do not have the capacity to see the big picture when it comes to, "The Big Plan" they always seem to have. They just don't.

Democrats are no day in the park either, don't get me wrong, but Jesus Christ this is fucking ridiculous.

All moral reasonss aside, you wanna know ultimately why it was a bad idea to go into Iraq? Because we are a democracy. Because this was going to take more than the two years left in Bush's term to fix. Because we have now tied the hands of the American people, the soldiers, and god let it happen please, the new president, with this bullshit. Because guys, by removing Saddam's regime from power in the middle of a war on terror, we have given the chance for the terrorists to take hold of the country entirely by spewing their lies and propaganda at a people who will not believe proof, only in those who share, and claim to share their belilefs.

For those who want to pull out of this, I have to say, we can't.

Its impossible now. They'd take that country from its people in a year and then shit would really hit the fan.

Thats why this war was a bad idea. You wanna take all moral issues and intention issues aside and look at practicallity, then simply due to TIMING this fucking war was a bad idea.

thats all.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Oldham
    Sing a song of Madeleine-Mary
    A tune that all can carry
    Burly says if we don't sing
    Then we won't have anything...

6. Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    And the soldiers who did it have been arrested, charged, and will be court-martialed. Which is what should happen. There is no cover-up. There is no stonewalling.

It's funny that this shit is such an outrage to you while Oil-For-Food (UNSCAM) or Al-jazeera's videos showing thugs dragging American bodies through Fallujah is not.

Fuck that noise.

Its a well known fact (to anyone who cares at least), that the USMC was HANDILY defeating the militants in Fallujah. At the time of the first BS "cease fire" the kill ratio was like 450 to TWELVE. FOUR-HUNDRED-AND-FIFTY-TO-TWELVE. Iwo Jima this was not. The MC had a plan and it was being executed with little problem. And then this happened.

Iraq is no Vietnam but this Fallujah is little more than the Tet Offensive 2, in that the US military forces had a grasp on the situation and were doing their job when an anti-American, pro-enemy media stepped in and decided to tell the country a different story than was actually happening. And then politicians stepped in and ruined it.

This disgusts me.
    Why is this an isseu and the dragging of bodies in Faluyah is less of an iseu?

Simple really, from criminals you can expect criminal behaviour, the US came barging in and one of the reasons stated was to bring freedom back to the Iraqi people to stop torture and improve their lives yet waht do Iraqi´s see now, a thousand people dead by US fire in Faluyah, majority of wich were innocent civilians, they see their places of worship bombed and they see pictures of their fellow countrymen being tortured and humiliated.
    From a a criminal you can expect criminal behaviour, the US was there to put an end to such behaviour and is now cought doing things wich they came there to end.
    THAT is why its an isseu.

Oh btw nice job dragging in the UN into this again to fire of a few podshots at an easy target, regardles of the fact that the UN thing more and more starts to seem like a storm in a glass of water.

And where did I say I was outraged at the pictures?
    I knew things like that were happening, its ineviteable.
    When you have 150k people living in a stressfull situation against their will in a country they know jackshit about you will always have some dipshits who commit atrocities.
    I mean how old are most of these people?
    Like 20 to 24 years old?
    Immature kids who cant handle the situation they have been forced into and deal with the bordeom and stress by acting like total asses.

Again I am not outraged, its just confirmation of what I expected, of what I knew what would happen, its simple human nature and statistics at work.

7. Quote Originally Posted by youandwhosearmy
    I've said the same thing a million times about this war, so I'm gonna say something a bit different. But first I have to agree with you on your right idea wrong president statement.

There must be a hundred different ways this war could have been a good thing, hell a thousand, and the fact is Bush did everything in his power to fuck it up.

You wanna know why I hate republicans. Because they never admit they did something wrong. Bush and his administration do not have the capacity to think like normal people. They do not have the capacity to see the big picture when it comes to, "The Big Plan" they always seem to have. They just don't.

Democrats are no day in the park either, don't get me wrong, but Jesus Christ this is fucking ridiculous.

All moral reasonss aside, you wanna know ultimately why it was a bad idea to go into Iraq? Because we are a democracy. Because this was going to take more than the two years left in Bush's term to fix. Because we have now tied the hands of the American people, the soldiers, and god let it happen please, the new president, with this bullshit. Because guys, by removing Saddam's regime from power in the middle of a war on terror, we have given the chance for the terrorists to take hold of the country entirely by spewing their lies and propaganda at a people who will not believe proof, only in those who share, and claim to share their belilefs.

For those who want to pull out of this, I have to say, we can't.

Its impossible now. They'd take that country from its people in a year and then shit would really hit the fan.

Thats why this war was a bad idea. You wanna take all moral issues and intention issues aside and look at practicallity, then simply due to TIMING this fucking war was a bad idea.

thats all.
    YAWA continues to amaze me. That is an incredibly succint and well written post. And I agree nearly 100%. I was against this war in Iraq from day one... but I know and agree that pulling out is really the last thing we should do at this point. If we allow the extremists to gain control of Iraq it'll be worse then when Saddam was there.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Mman
    But...you are in your computer chair right now? So you are different from use because of something YOU HAVE NOT EVEN DONE yet?
    In case you haven't noticed, I'm stridently anti-war. I leave the macho posturing to the cowardly chickenhawks who have given nothing to their country and are risking nothing by taking a pro-war stance. I figure the draft will shut them up after they vote Bush in for another 4 years this November.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Mfkzt
    In case you haven't noticed, I'm stridently anti-war. I leave the macho posturing to the cowardly chickenhawks who have given nothing to their country and are risking nothing by taking a pro-war stance. I figure the draft will shut them up after they vote Bush in for another 4 years this November.
    I still don't understand how I get labeled a "cowardly-chickenhawk".
    http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1739&dateline=1225393453

10. That comment directed at other people in this thread, not you. You're actually going to serve your country.