Page 1 of 58 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Iraq

1. Iraq

Well, shit.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/02/in...02DIPL.html?hp

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/02/in...st/02ABUS.html

The one argument against the Iraq war that always made a bit of sense to me was the one that went something like: "dude, Bush is an idiot. Even if it is a good idea, he's not the one who is going to be able to pull it off, because he's too much of a coward to do something that would take him out of office." The thought cut, but I ignored it because I figured Bush's religious conviction was going to provide us the impetus we needed to do our job.

Well, I'll consider myself chastened.

We've taken a brilliant, brutal, heart-stopping, standard-mutating military victory in Iraq, a truly promising beginning, and have turned it into the same sort of Middle East fuckup that Carter (Iran), Reagan (Lebanon), Clinton (Mogadishu) pulled off - except on a larger, better lit stage. 1 year and countless billions later, we're back to being the American tough guys that cut and run as soon as our guys start getting killed - this is our version of Spain's cowardice, except it's our government, not the voters, that is doing the national-ass-fucking in this case.

Just when we needed to actually take a couple of risks in Falluja, say "damn the UN", and get the job done, Bush has collectively castrated our army and our country because the poll numbers are turning.

A handful of nonrepresentative vicious American bastards (the torturers, people who deserve to be strung up by their toenails in Camp Pendleton) have now dragged us down to the level of a bunch of Middle Eastern savages.

(Not like this needs to be said, but when was the last time you saw Al Jazeera dogpiling on one of their countries' own the way our news channels have been on our version of their evil? How about the last time you saw a country's president castigate one of his own soldiers in a similar way? We're outraged because this isn't normal for us. Thank God we live in this country and not one of the other ones.)

This Falluja retreat bullshit makes me fucking sick. Is there anyone who isn't a goddamned idiot or who has to get reelected in November that thinks this is a good idea?

Right war (for a million reasons), but, I think, the wrong president. What the hell is the point now? We're in the process of giving the country back to the secular Baathists (again). The best we can do now is to promise the Iraqis that we'll come back and kill any Baathist leader when he starts getting uppity.

So does this mean the gas prices aren't going to go down?

3. Quote Originally Posted by Stone
    Right war (for a million reasons)
    I've yet to hear a single reason why it is right.

But I do agree our pussified retreat from Fallujah is setting a really fucking bad example.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

4. In some ways I agree and in some ways I don't. My fear is that Kerry is gonna fuck it up 10 times worse with all of his budget cuts and his refusal to get troops body armor and more armored plates on the HMMVWs (just to name a few of his plans). There's a good chance I'll be there in January and I'm set for whatever, but I'll be damned if I die for some stupid fucking reason. The retreat from Fallujah was some stupid shit but if the Marines had assaulted that town like they were planning in the coming days I seriously doubt there would've been much living in that town, civilian and terrorist. This is what happens when politics from either side get involved in a war. Things get fucked up, I just hope the situation gets better by the time I get there, if I'm gonna assault a town filled with terrorists and the like then I'm cool with that, but I don't want my buddies to die in preperation of the assault then just fucking leave.
    http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1739&dateline=1225393453

5. Funny thing, that politics.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Stone
    Well, shit.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/02/in...02DIPL.html?hp

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/02/in...st/02ABUS.html

The one argument against the Iraq war that always made a bit of sense to me was the one that went something like: "dude, Bush is an idiot. Even if it is a good idea, he's not the one who is going to be able to pull it off, because he's too much of a coward to do something that would take him out of office." The thought cut, but I ignored it because I figured Bush's religious conviction was going to provide us the impetus we needed to do our job.

Well, I'll consider myself chastened.

We've taken a brilliant, brutal, heart-stopping, standard-mutating military victory in Iraq, a truly promising beginning, and have turned it into the same sort of Middle East fuckup that Carter (Iran), Reagan (Lebanon), Clinton (Mogadishu) pulled off - except on a larger, better lit stage. 1 year and countless billions later, we're back to being the American tough guys that cut and run as soon as our guys start getting killed - this is our version of Spain's cowardice, except it's our government, not the voters, that is doing the national-ass-fucking in this case.

Just when we needed to actually take a couple of risks in Falluja, say "damn the UN", and get the job done, Bush has collectively castrated our army and our country because the poll numbers are turning.

A handful of nonrepresentative vicious American bastards (the torturers, people who deserve to be strung up by their toenails in Camp Pendleton) have now dragged us down to the level of a bunch of Middle Eastern savages.

(Not like this needs to be said, but when was the last time you saw Al Jazeera dogpiling on one of their countries' own the way our news channels have been on our version of their evil? How about the last time you saw a country's president castigate one of his own soldiers in a similar way? We're outraged because this isn't normal for us. Thank God we live in this country and not one of the other ones.)

This Falluja retreat bullshit makes me fucking sick. Is there anyone who isn't a goddamned idiot or who has to get reelected in November that thinks this is a good idea?

Right war (for a million reasons), but, I think, the wrong president. What the hell is the point now? We're in the process of giving the country back to the secular Baathists (again). The best we can do now is to promise the Iraqis that we'll come back and kill any Baathist leader when he starts getting uppity.

Wrong war for the wrong reasons.
    Most middle eastern governments dont like All Jazeera no more then the US does since they are known for their independance regarding the vast majority of isseus.
    remember Al jazeera started out as a BBC project and is build and operated acording to BBC principles.

Faluya is a case of mistake after mistake after mistake wich now has become a lose lose situation for the US so tacticaly maybe this retreat is the only thing left that could lead to results that are the least damaging.

Quote Originally Posted by cka
    Funny thing, that politics.
    yeah, funny gay, not funny ha ha

8. Quote Originally Posted by IronPlant
    yeah, funny gay, not funny ha ha
    Funny queer, not funny ha-ha.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Stone

This is what I've been saying from the begining. Another two factors that made this wrong: timing and policy.

You can't impose democracy on an unwilling populace in ONE year!

10. Hey stone, do you mind pasting the artical? I don't wanna click anymore links asking me to register.
    "Your soul better belong to Jesus, mmm-mmmmm..... cause your ass belongs to me!"