Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A good reason to use IE

A good reason to use IE

Hi all.

I know that alot of us have been saying time and time again to not use IE, and many 9x users have even went as far as to completely remove it from their systems, but there is one important thing that IE is still good for. Windows Update. So far, as far as I know, no other browser can use the site and it's the best way to quickly and easily get critical and non-critical updates that you need or just have an interest in.

Without windows update, you would have to subscribe to security newsletters from MS to keep up with updates. You'd have to go through the site to try to find those updates (which sometimes just send you back to windows update whether you want to get it from there or not).

It just makes things simpler. So please don't neglect this tool. Use it often and you'll have your system nice and patched and have the newest version of things like Directx without going through the hassle of searching.

Keep in mind, IE is still not the safest browser to use for surfing. Just use it for Windows Update and use a browser like Mozilla for surfing.
    Taking it one day at a time.

If you use the Windows Update link in the Start Menu, it'll open up IE... no matter what browser you use.

Whats your point?

3. He is saying if you remove IE entirely, which XP cannot do...are they even updating 9X?!?
    your mom

Quote Originally Posted by Mman
    He is saying if you remove IE entirely, which XP cannot do...are they even updating 9X?!?
    All 9x's except 95 are still supported. They almost dropped support for the 9x's but changed their minds and expanded it for a while longer. There are programs to remove IE from 9x machines but not NT based machines. Win NT has also been dropped, but MS has been supplying updates for it too anyway.

5. Browser wars are even more retarded than console wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny
    Browser wars are even more retarded than console wars.
    What does this have to do with browser wars?

7. A lot obviously, since you're giving a reason to not get rid of IE in favor of an alternative browser.

Quote Originally Posted by Survival Kid
    A lot obviously, since you're giving a reason to not get rid of IE in favor of an alternative browser.
    Unless you can show me how you can use Windows Update without IE, your point is moot. It's not like I'm telling everyone to use it as their primary browser. Just for updating Windows.

Oh well, since people keep misunderstanding about this, I will do a quick edit of the main post.

9. Hopefully for Longhorn, critical updates don't need some stupid browser.

10. Uh, you do realize that with Longhorn, MS is planning to lock you into using MS-specific software even more than they do now, right? At least everything I've read seems to say so.

It really hit me how much MS sucks from using my work PC. I'm using XP, and I noticed that MS Messenger kept starting up. I tried to quit it, and it told me, "If you want to use Outlook, you have to have me running." Why the f**k do I need MS Messenger running to use an e-mail program?

God MS sucks so much male sexual organ.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.