Thread: Installer compilers

1. Installer compilers

I'm likely not using the correct terminology, but what I have in mind is this:

I have an installed program that I'd like to move to a new computer. Trouble is, it of course has dlls and assorted system files scattered hither and thither throughout the computer. Are there any programs that allow a person to -- again, oddball terminology incoming -- reverse-engineer an installation exe that could then be used on another computer?

2. i'd love to have something like that, but i doubt that anything similar exists. i mean, it would have to be one badass program to figure out exactly which dlls were needed, as well as where they belong. then you have registry keys to worry about..

what kind of program are you trying to move? is it possible to just download a new installer from the manufacturer? judging from your request, i'd assume it's not an option, but i can't think of any other way to move it, short of manually transferring the files and registry keys.

I think Norton Ghost would be able to do it, but I'm not sure.
    Taking it one day at a time.

4. Was the installation program created with InstallShield? There's a decompiler for certain older versions you might try for that. But if not, the best disassembler that I use for hacking EXEs is IDA Pro. Very expensive though.

Come to think of it, however, if you're looking for dependent dlls, just open the exe in a hexeditor and scroll down towards the end of the file or just do a find on ".dll" - that'd be the import section which will list all files needed. I also attached M$' Dependency Walker app which you can try instead. See if it works.
    "Don't be a pansy." - James

5. Cheers, NightWolve!