Thread: DVD backup / subtitling / re-authoring

1. DVD backup / subtitling / re-authoring

I'm considering a little summer project to keep myself occupied... Not sure if it is really worth the effort, but it could be a good experience.

I'm considering getting a R2 DVD, backing it up, adding a subtitle track, and then re-authoring the DVD.

Has anyone had relevant experience doing something similar?

I'll be doing this on OS X [if I actually DO do it, that is.]

Backing up is no problem... DVD Backup should be all I need for that half.

The only thing I'm concerned about is the subtitling... That is, is it possible to use a VOB file for subtitling? [EDIT: Or more realistically, a .m2v file.] I have yet to even look into any details as of yet... But this program looks to have some potential.

I'm assuming I'll end up using DVD Studio Pro to throw it all together and to create an .IMG [for burning], but that should not be a problem.

If anyone has any general tips or anything, shoot.

Oh, right... I'll probably have to get a firmware patch for my DVD drive, as well. I'm not too keen about doing it, but the linked site offers original firmware downloads in case you ever have to revert back to factory installed firmware.

2. What about re-editing so I can add the cut scenes in? I dunno what hollywood's thinking, but when it comes to movies I want everything in there out the bat.
    "Your soul better belong to Jesus, mmm-mmmmm..... cause your ass belongs to me!"

3. Click: Why do you need a firmware patch? Will DVD Backup not be able to rip the DVD if it's another region? It does have the option to change regions, so I would presume it can read it even if the player software won't play it.

voltz: Heh. You'll have to use Adobe Premier, Apple's Final Cut Pro/Express or some other program like that. I guess it would be cool, but considering some deleted scenes aren't even finished as presented on the DVD, I don't think it would be as good an experience as watching the original cut/director's cut.

There's a reason they are deleted scenes, after all.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Lhadatt
    Click: Why do you need a firmware patch? Will DVD Backup not be able to rip the DVD if it's another region? It does have the option to change regions, so I would presume it can read it even if the player software won't play it.
    Doesn't fly. Backup can't read the VOB files unless you have the region of the drive set to that of the disc.

Regions suck a hundred times over.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Click_Stick
    Doesn't fly. Backup can't read the VOB files unless you have the region of the drive set to that of the disc.

buy a second DVD drive and set it to annother region.

6. Check around some fan subbing message boards. They usually do it as a team, one person translates, another does the timing, the other does text and what not. I'm guessing most fan sub groups use something like final cut pro. I'd even check some AMV site and see if they have any info.

I have a friend who makes AMV's, I'll ask him next time I see him online.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Click_Stick

Yes, that makes sense now. You have to start the DVD Player to authenticate the DVD being copied, if I recall correctly.

8. Shine - If I had a desktop...

R - Yea, I need to do some better research... When I remember...

What I really need to look into is the whole subtitling thing, and whether or not I'll need to sub directly on the video files [of (?) format] or create them separately and import them into FCP or something like that... I really have no clue. Gotta look into it more. [And quickly, before I lose my steam/ambition.]

Lhadatt - Yep, exactly.

9. For ~$60 you can get a 5.25" DVD drive and external enclosure that will link with USB/Firewire.

10. Forgot all about that possibility... But it's probably not completely worth the $...

We'll see. [If I spend money on a DVD drive for non-R1 discs, I rather put it towards a dedicated all-region player... And try my luck with a firmware patch for my laptop.]