Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Matrix, anyone NOT like it?!

1. The Matrix, anyone NOT like it?!

I know I'm in the minority but I cannot see what's so great about this movie. I can appreciate some of the effects shots that were pioneered and executed so well, and I don't even find the concept to be bad- it has some intruiging moments for sure. but the movie as a whole, in its execution, just strikes me as totally mediocre- sometimes really terrible. i thought the whole "training" thing, the crew of the ship, and the acting all to be horribly grating and left me just feeling shitty about how dissapointing it was. it DID have/has potential.. i just think it's crap. anyone with me? ...didnt really think so

2. Well, I liked it. I dont think its a greatest film ever, but one enjoable action film. Even though its not very original at all, and they took bits and pieces from various HK, and Anime films, it still had great action scenes and fx, and I thought story was ok. Sure dont expect best acting from the cast, but they did solid job during action scenes, and I liked that.

Looking forward Matrix Reloaded and Matrix Revolutions next year. I seen some behind the scenes, and some fighting looks really good. Trailer coming this summer, possibly even with Episode 2.

3. i like the matrix, a lot. in fact, it's my favorite movie. however, not because i think it's the best action movie, or that it has a great story, or that the acting was good. i like it for all the "hidden" themes.

for one, the whole movie screams marx. you have the two classes: the bourgeoisie (computers) and the proletariats (humans). the computers oppress and exploit the humans so they can profit off of us. the humans work in order for the computers to maintain their dominance. the humans realize their horrible situation and revolt, just like marx proletariat revolution.

then there's plato's allegory of the cave. the cave is false reality. people in the cave are slaves. outside of the cave is reality. someone from the inside starts to walk out. he sees reality, but it hurts. he has to face it anyway. it steps out and realizes the truth. however, he can't just leave it at that. he has to go back in the cave to educate everyone else, so they can see the truth, so they can see reality. sounds a lot like the matrix, doesn't it?

these are just basic summaries of two of the many themes in the matrix. i don't know if they were put in the movie intentionally, or maybe i'm just reading way too much into it (but i doubt that i am, because my high school english teacher saw the same things). regardless, it's these themes that make me like it a lot. the actions scenes and effects are cool, too.

4. went to the theaters to see the Matrix..had no expectations what so ever.

came out of the theaters absolutely blown away.

The movie was good.

Keanu Reeves is one of the most underrated actors of all time. He was a triumph!

keanu dig it?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex Ranza View Post
    Halverson had me totally convinced of Cybermorph's greatness, I'll tell you that much.

Then I got a Jag, took it home, and something seemed... not right.

5. Its true Nash. You can find a deeper meaning in the Matrix, and also some philosophic concepts as well. But I pretty much enjoyed the action side of the film without looking for a deeper meaning, at least during first few times I watched it

As I posted above teaser trailers for both sequels are coming soon. They will be shown on Entertainment Tonight, this wednesday.

Here is the link to the article:

http://www.etonline.com/movie/a8877.htm

I'll be watching

6. :raises hand: I think that the matrix sucks

I thought it was a fun movie to watch a couple of times, but hardly the "end-all be-all of movies" some people made it out to be. It's biggest plus was seeing styles and angles used in action anime and manga done in live action.

8. It was a great action film, with some amazing special effects. And I went to see it at the cinema, of course. But the really sad thing was that to the /mainstream/ (at least in Europe) the plot, world etc. was seen as sooo groundbreaking, that it was seen in a much greater light than any other popcorn summer blockbuster.

I think "good, but in no way great" pretty much sums it up.
    She Hates My Futon.
    Got a few hours? Read it.

9. It's a ok movie, but there's lots of crap in it, and it certainly doesn't deserve the level of interest it garners.... I honestly think the big deal with most people is the characters looking slick in black and pulling off stunts, not the story or concept.

10. This is a good "starter" for the series to kick off from, but it's taking forever to get the sequels out and this was just the beginning...
    don't wanna tangle with you, I'd rather tangle with him.
    I think I'm gonna bash his head in...