Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chronic Insomnia

I wouldn't say my condition is cronic. Mainly, I've gotten phone calls (generally work related) right when I'm at the point of sleeping, thus waking me up for a few more hours of unproductive resting.

If you find yourself having trouble sleeping, check a couple of factors.

1. Room temperature: For me it's lots harder to sleep if the room is too hot or too cold
    2. Lighting: Though it varies depending on the person, lighting (especially sunlight) makes it harder to quickly fall asleep. Dark settings are best.
    3. Excercise: If I'm correct, you shouldn't excercise within 3 hours of going to bed. If you exercise later than that, you may still be pumped from your workout and thus fall alseep a bit slower.
    4. Cola and Energy drinks: Try to avoid soda, coffee, and the like close to bed. Avoid energy drinks after midday unless absolutely neccessary. Their effects can easily last into bedtime.
    5. Shut down your brain: The more you focus your thoughts on something, the longer it may take to fall asleep because your brain is active. Though you may have something pressing or exciting on your mind, try to let it go.
    That's about all of the tips I have for now. Anyone else have some tips to post?
    6. Get rid of distractions: TV, computers, and games in the bedroom can distract you and take away your desire to go to bed.
    7. Constant sleep time: Another thing that's hard for me since I work differnt shifts at times, but having a constant sleep time trains the body it will take time, but if you go to bed at the same time the body will become more accustomed to going to bed at that time. For instance, it took me a couple of months to get my body really used to the sleep schedule for the 2AM shift that I've been working on and off. Alas the next couple of weeks I was standard shift so that completely ruined that.
    8. This one we don't have much control over, but hope that no one calls you and wakes you up during a critical time during sleep. That's all you need to keep you up for hours.
    Taking it one day at a time.

Yeah but if you have an active mind like mine it's impossible
    to shut it off.

I've read some Magazines that give some suggestions on how to do it. For instance, you can focus on one word like "relax". Just say it lightly over and over while focusing on a part of your body to relax until you're completely relaxed.

I know for me though my mind is most active during times of stress or excitement and those are also the hardest times to shut things down.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Korian
    Yeah but if you have an active mind like mine it's impossible
    to shut it off.
    I have the same sort of problem. My mind just doesn't want to slow down when I go to bed. I've found that using relaxation techniques like meditation, self-hypnosis and yogic breathing is usually fairly helpful in allowing me to get a few hours of rest while suffering from insomnia.

When your brains are active, is it just a general thing, or is it because you feel that you haven't gotten enough done throughout the day yet. Another thing that keeps my brain active is when I feel like my day's been unproductive.

6. Same thing as Roufuss and Criticom for me. For the record, I woke up at 10pm today
    Buy Yakuza and Oblivion. Help yourself, help TNL.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Roufuss
    Mine's lasted for months upon months now.

Stay up until 6-8 am, sleep until 4-6 pm, rinse wash and repeat.

It's a fucking horrible habit, and I wish there was some way to break it, but right now I don't care since everything fun happens at night anyways.
    You do not have insomnia. You sleep 10-12 hours per day. Insomnia is the inability to fall asleep or to sleep for a normal amount of time.

You're fine. Your internal clock is just off.

Hell, you might have hypersomnia. Sleeping for more than 8-10 continuous hours per day isn't healthy.

8. If you have a computer near your bed with headphones, I suggest investigating www.bwgen.com . looks like lame hippie shit, but its based on hard science and works. even ask Atlas!

9. Quote Originally Posted by Rhydant
    You're fine. Your internal clock is just off.
    If only I knew how to fix it...
    R.I.P Kao Megura (1979-2004)

10. Quote Originally Posted by Brotherman
    When your brains are active, is it just a general thing, or is it because you feel that you haven't gotten enough done throughout the day yet. Another thing that keeps my brain active is when I feel like my day's been unproductive.
    That may be my main reason. That and feeling like you don't have much to wake up for the next day. Those things may hinder sleep or they may make the thought of going to bed really detestable.

The "counting sheep" technique does work, I find. Last night, even though I hadn't slept for even a minute the night before and my eyes were burning, I had trouble relaxing until I occupied my mind with counting objects and trying to visualize the object every time. It causes your eyeballs to move around a lot and your mind will try to wander and give up but keep counting and it'll be very tiring. It finally worked after about 200 objects.

As for making yourself go to bed, if you enjoy reading then instead of thinking about going to bed, think about what you'll be able to read once you do.