Thread: So Close - Upcoming Big HK Action film (Possible US release)

1. So Close - Upcoming Big HK Action film (Possible US release)

Well, Follow this link to the official site of the film. Formely known as Virtual Twilight, its upcoming action film directed by Corey Yen, and coming to HK and US sometime soon.

http://www.so-close.com/

They have a very cool trailer there to download, so check it out.

I think the movie looks quite good. It looks like HK version of Charley Angels, but much better

Action scenes look great, and it seems to have good mix of gun battles and kung fu/sword fighting. Cinematography looks very good and clean too, and it seems to have a big budget, plus the trailer has English narration, so its will be coming to US sometime soon. The only question I have about it is, What kind of title is it?

2. ...

Looks very promising. Is Corey Yuen also doing choregraphy? The reason I ask, is because Donnie Yen was supposedly supposed to work on the HK version of Charlies Angels-- I wonder if this is the same film?

All three of these actresses are top-notch in HK. I didn't think Shu Qi knew martial arts, but she seems to be doing a decent job from the trailer. Well the good news is it's under Columbia/Tristar control, so we don't have to worry about it being butchered like so many Miramax films. Hopefully, we'll see U.S. DVD release of same quality as Time & Tide, etc...and maybe theatrical release, but seems iffy since Hollywood is so fixated with Zhang Ziyi right now.

On a side note: I picked up Versus at a convention the other day--very cool film indeed! I'm only a little into it, but it was definitely worth a purchase (I got it LBX and subtitled on tape from one of those bootleg stands, but the quality is fantastic). They also had Battle Royale, but I passed-- is this film any good? I know it has a reputation for being violent, but I wondered if it is worth buying...
    "50,000! You scored 50,000 points on Double Dragon?"

3. Glad to hear you got Versus. One of the most exciting and hyped films to come out from Japan lately. I enjoyed it alot as well, and posted my impressions about it a while ago. I have German unofficial dvd that came out 4 months ago, but now there is official Japan Region 2 release of it, with English subs. I thought action scenes were great, but it was little too long. Definately looking forward next film from the Versus crew, called Alive. Will post more info about that project as I get it.

Battle Royale is another great Japanese film. Its about of group of regular high school kids being randomly chosen by goverment to participated in the deadly game of Battle Royale. Only one can leave the island alive, and the movie explores the student relationship when friends have to turn on each other to survive. Really good film, quite violent, but also has dark satire in the context. There is HK dvd of it available, it says Region 0, but I'm not sure if its bootleg or not. I only have vcd version, and the quality is just ok.