Thread: Action Replay: MP3, DivX, and Genesis emulation

News Action Replay: MP3, DivX, and Genesis emulation

1UP just posted this article about the next version of the Action Replay from Datel. I don't really give a darn about the cheat codes and such, but there's a few new features in there (unrelated to game cheating) that caught my eye.

They are now boasting a new custom CD-R feature. You can burn a CD full of MP3 music, DivX video, or even Sega Genesis ROM images, and play them back on the PS2. There's also some sort of online chat and instant messaging client, and a function for streaming MP3/DivX files from your PC (which I'm guessing works something like QCast Tuner/GameShark Media Player).

You can also use it to enter cheats for PS2 games, if you're into that sort of thing.
    "PSP will elevate portable entertainment out of the handheld gaming ghetto." -- Kaz Hirai

2. PS2 Genny emu? Nice.

3. wtf? Genny roms? That's really strange.

4. I wish they made one that could play imports, much like the Gameshark for Dreamcast.
    R.I.P Kao Megura (1979-2004)

5. Quote Originally Posted by Roufuss
    I wish they made one that could play imports, much like the Gameshark for Dreamcast.
    I'd buy that up with the quickness.

6. If the Mega Drive emulation is low res or has decent filters, this is mine.

7. As a veteran user of Gameshark & Action Replay, I can vouch for the steadily declining quality of Datel's products in recent years. Ever since they went to the "MAX" format, their cheat devices have become very glitchy, especially when trying to download data from their servers or "backing up" (aka corrupting) your save files. The features look good on paper -innovative enough to receive glowing reviews- but it's poorly executed in your home. You'll eventually need to buy $9.99 upgrades from their online store to patch their mistakes, reducing your console-gaming experience to the feel of tinkering with a PC. Furthermore, used Datel products are absent from stores like Gamestop because they're not accepted for trade-in; once you buy it, you're stuck with it. Anyone interested in buying their stuff should first register at their site and then read the numerous complaints on their message boards. Personally, I would only recommend their MAX lineup for the cheat code and region-free DVD features.