Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New CPU

1. Raspberry New CPU

I'm thinking of upgrading from my AMD Athlon xp 2100+. I was looking around and it seems for me, the best choice would be the AMD 2500+, but whats teh difference between the Barton core, and the Thoroughbred ?
    for the Barton core, its only 1.83 ghz but the thoroughbred its a little over 2.0ghz.. whats with the change in ghz ?

Which one is better?? and why ? The Barton, or the thoroughbred ?
    You can never be one of the dead, because something that has no existence can have no community.

Frontiers

2. get a mobile xp chip. great overclockers and yes they work in a desktop environment. any questions look up the thread MVS made. i covered it there.

as for your original question get a barton core. i think they have the higher fsb and better core. but at this point why only upgrade this, and upgrade it so insignificantly? whats the rest of your system? im sure theres something else that could be improved upon and yield a better result.

3. Well i built it myself, because i'm poor so i got what i could at the time.. and i figure that my week point is mainly my CPU, and Video card.. (which i dont play many computer games, so i dont care to much for a good video card..)

I have :
    AMD athlon xp 2100+
    Gigabyte GA-7VAXP Ultra Motherboard
    256K PC3200 (DDR 400) RAM [I plan on buying another stick soon]
    Radeon ATI 8500 LE
    350 watt power supply
    Onboard sound card built into the motherboard..

Anything else you would like to know? I think thats all teh important materials, I plan on buying a new stick of 256K RAM, and i REALLY REALLY need a 60mm CASE FAN for back of my case... I bought a wierd case and the only rear fan slot is a 60mm fan slot.. and those are so hard to find, specially since i cant order online..
    You can never be one of the dead, because something that has no existence can have no community.

Frontiers

4. forget the processor and buy the RAM, re-evaluate once you have it. Changing the processor isn't going to do much, your system is slow due to paging memory.

5. Quote Originally Posted by stormy
    forget the processor and buy the RAM, re-evaluate once you have it. Changing the processor isn't going to do much, your system is slow due to paging memory.
    I agree. And if you don't play many games, why do you need to upgrade right now? That system should be perfectly fine.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Chemist
    256K PC3200 (DDR 400) RAM [I plan on buying another stick soon]
    i trust you meant 256Megs of ram yes........256 sucks, for anything. get another 256 stick or if you can get a 512 stick. the ram speed is fine its just that you dont have much of it. do that then we'll talk processor.

7. Get the 512MB stick. You will thank yourself for it.

The main differences between the Thuroughbred and Barton are bus speed (how fast it communicates with the motherboard) and manufacturing scale (measured in microns). T-bred runs at 266MHz, while the Barton core runs at 333MHz and 400MHz. This means the Barton can have slower clock speeds while maintaining higher performance speeds, since the bus speed allows it to communicate with the rest of the computer faster than the T-bred. The Barton also has smaller transistors per unit due to its smaller manufacturing scale, so AMD can cram more in there more economically than on a T-bred.

If you really want to upgrade now and don't want to get the RAM, get a Barton (can't endorse Ms, I know nothing about them). However, I advise that you wait on a CPU upgrade -- the 64-bit chips are gaining momentum, so soon they will be what you want to get. A RAM upgrade now will be good for you until then.

8. is there an echo in here?

9. I gave more info.

10. bah.....you hussy