Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk War.

1. Let's talk War.

Famicom Wars that is. Intelligent Systems' series of war sims has been around, but it was only till recently that the gaming public outside Japan got a taste of it with Advance Wars for (what else) the Game Boy Advance. Better late than never.

The first game in the series, Famicom Wars, came out in 1988, which was roughly inspired by the Daisenryaku series in Japan. Famicom Wars was followed by Game Boy Wars and Super Famicom Wars, both of them were made by IntSys as well. In addition, Hudson Soft developed GB Wars Turbo, a remake of the first game, followed by GB Wars 2 & 3 for the GBC and the cancelled 64 Wars. GB Wars Advance, the Japanese version of Advance Wars, was suppose to have come out last October, but as a result of the 9/11 incident, the game was put on indefenite hold. We're lucky that the American version was released just before the incident.

Famicom Wars is also known for having one of the best fucking ads for a videogame in Japan.

Famicom Wars

Game Boy Wars

Super Famicom Wars (released via Nintendo Power)

Game Boy Wars Turbo

Game Boy Wars 2

Game Boy Wars 3

64 Wars (cancelled)

Game Boy Wars Advance (Now availble in America. Coming someday in Japan.) ^_^

2. Only had experience with the GBA rev, but I simply love it.

Some of my favorite design, style, and presentation ever done in a portable game (or any game for that matter).

3. Nice thread.....is this series a rip off of Nectaris or is it vice versa?

4. Originally posted by xS
    Nice thread.....is this series a rip off of Nectaris or is it vice versa?
    Nectaris came out in 1989, a full year after Famicom Wars. Famicom Wars was a ripoff of Daisenryaku (as I've already pointed out).

5. Can you post up any of the ads?

6. Very informative post, Johnny...thanks. I too would like to see these ads you speak of. And I dig the Frank Miller Daredevil avatar.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

I have never been into this genre. I passed on Military Madness while playing almost every other game on the TG-16. But given the quality of IntSys games and the fact that Advance Wars looks so damn cool, I definitely plan on checking it out.

8. Damn shame it took so long to get here, but better late than never.

So, why exactly did Advance Wars come out in America first, seeing as how it's the first one to be released here... I mean, I could see taking such a step if the GBC ones were released here and became popular, but releasing it in an untested market over one in which it's been proven? If I was a Japanese gamer, I'd quite feel like Nintendo has shat on me.

9. Originally posted by Dolemite
    And I dig the Frank Miller Daredevil avatar.
    Thanks!

I once found a website that had several gaming ads, including the Famicom Wars one, but sadly it was removed. I still remember parts of the lyrics:

"Famicom Wars ga deeruzoo!"
    "Nomerikomeru"

So, why exactly did Advance Wars come out in America first, seeing as how it's the first one to be released here... I mean, I could see taking such a step if the GBC ones were released here and became popular, but releasing it in an untested market over one in which it's been proven? If I was a Japanese gamer, I'd quite feel like Nintendo has shat on me.
    Beats me really. Nintendo seems to be a very experimental company. I guess Nintendo of America was just using Advance Wars to see whether or not the new Fire Emblem will be worth releasing in America as well. Sometimes, Nintendo actually releases their products in America first and then Japan. Super Punch-Out didn't came out in Japan until four years after the American version as a Nintendo Power title.

10. I once found a website that had several gaming ads, including the Famicom Wars one, but sadly it was removed.

Was that the "mutex video"(something like that) site? Only
    famicom commercial site I knew of. . .and its gone.