ATI Radeon 9800
    Some kind of recording soundcard.

I'm basically looking for ideas though.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Oldham
    Sing a song of Madeleine-Mary
    A tune that all can carry
    Burly says if we don't sing
    Then we won't have anything...

2. Might as well get one of those new fangled ATI X800's to insure that your video card is not obsolete in a year or so.

3. is the 64 bit version of windows available yet?

4. drop a grand on a sick flat screen monster monitor and the rest on a sick computer. ATI/AMD type shit. Yeah, that'll do it.

5. Quote Originally Posted by stormy
    is the 64 bit version of windows available yet?
    no,well not really. theres a test out there. ati finally released 64bit drivers tho.

i would wait for the socket 939 chips/mobos, get an x800 and some pc 4000 (a gig to be sure) ram. most future proof atm.

6. You may want to consider waiting until the end of the summer when PCI express is introduced and brings AGP to an end. If you want your machine for gaming(and if you are spending $2,200 you'd better) I would consider an Athlon64 in addition to the ideas mentioned above.

7. Quote Originally Posted by youandwhosearmy
    What would you build?

Me,

Athlon 64 34000+
    1 GB of DDR RAM
    ATI Radeon 9800
    Some kind of recording soundcard.

I'm basically looking for ideas though.
    Now is not the best time to get a new ati video card since it is only a minor increments from the 9700 series. IMO you should wait till they release their next series iof you are willing to spend that much, or atleast get a 9600XP in the mean time. Though the new NVidia cards are actually about the same as their ati counter part, but they got blocky lighting and shadows, but it is probably the best time to get a NVidia card considering how much of an improvement it is from the previous cards.

8. Quote Originally Posted by dave is ok
    Might as well get one of those new fangled ATI X800's to insure that your video card is not obsolete in a year or so.
    Still will happen.

PC Programmers = Lazy Bastards who never bother to code eficently and rather up the requirements than streamlining code..
    “The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, you know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

9. Quote Originally Posted by Damian79
    Now is not the best time to get a new ati video card since it is only a minor increments from the 9700 series. IMO you should wait till they release their next series iof you are willing to spend that much, or atleast get a 9600XP in the mean time. Though the new NVidia cards are actually about the same as their ati counter part, but they got blocky lighting and shadows, but it is probably the best time to get a NVidia card considering how much of an improvement it is from the previous cards.
    what? the x800's DESTROY the 9600's and put quite a whuppin on the 9800's. unless by "wait for their next card" you meant the x800.....but they're out already. don't know where you've been.

10. damn, those x800s are expensive!