Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moderators abusing their Authority at TNL

Thumbs Up Moderators abusing their Authority at TNL

Hi my name is Korian you may or not know me, for that matter you may like or dislike me, but I am going to get some thoughts off my chest that have been simmering for awhile. I've been a long time member of TNL for many years, it's like a home away from home, I've never had any serious problems with the Staff, at least nothing that could not be handled privately. I cannot and won't be silent on these issues anymore. I have no axe to grind and love the forums and its respective members but there are parts that make me feel violated and disrespected.

1. People that abuse the report message policy shold not be allowed to continue using this feature, Crying Wolf if you will. I'd also not like my name mentioned if they are reporting my posts that are not in violation, as it implies I'm doing something wrong, and for my own personal privacy. A person's threads being used as a tool to harass staff should not be mentioned on a Public Forum.

2. My Thread LOL was not meant as a joke or Flamebait, I've never once made a thread of that nature on the Main Forums, it's disruptive and not in me. I'm interested in Message Board Psychology and recently read a great article in Good Housekeeping Magazine about the origins of internet lingo. I know what LOL means, saying what does it mean? is a joking jovial sense of humor on my part. The real question was do people really laugh when they say that? On any other message board it would be a legitimate thread. If a thread is derailed and or misunderstood, fine misunderstandings can happen, but don't embarass, punish or humilate the author by adding snide remarks. Nor doubt the person's intentions without asking them first.

3. Don't use excuses that their are too many threads about me in FC as I've only had one thread moved from Sound Off to FC, and again that was a derailed thread. The first rule of FC is not to discuss it on the Main Forums, so respect my privacy and don't use what I may or not have written in FC as an excuse to lock or move my thread, for all intensive purposes FC does not exist and for my name and FC to be brought up in a Feedback and TroubleShooting board is a clear violation of rules, I'm only mentioning it now in the context of my complaint.

4. I asked if Racial Slurs were allowed on the board and never got an answer, just told to report the post. Sorry I'm not a Moderator and the answer is either yes or no. My thread was then locked. I PMed Nick and asked him to look into the matter, he read the note no reply. I understand that staff can be busy be a quick, "I'll get back to you later", or "I think this isn't an issue would be kind". No response after numerous days makes me think that staff doesn't really give a damn.

5. Lhadatt should step down from his position, he may be great with Computers, but gloating and bragging about a locked thread in grevious and arrogant and not what TNL deserves.

6. I'd like to set up a RAP thread - Report a Mod thread, where if a person feels their rights have been violated it is in the public record, for everyone to see. So there is no concerns of the Higher Ups protecting others. We should have a public count of every complaint against a Mod, so they do not continue to abuse their authority.

7. Mods should not be sarcastic or rude when someone asks a question or suggests a new Forum. Bahn's arrogance is very apparent when a thread of that nature comes up. Please use tact, not everyone knows about your sarcasm.

I've thought about leaving but I'd like to first see if any of this can be resolved in a peaceful adult matter. If not I'll consider going elsewhere.

We as a Community should not allow Mods to abuse their power and or not answer our serious questions. Just cause you have a gun and badge doesn't mean you can make up your own rules.

Thought, comments, suggestions. No spam or flames please.

Sincerely your Friend

Korian

2. While I think you are making a big fuss over nothing, about the racist remarks issue. I don't think it needs to be addressed just yet, I have yet to see any real signs that the KKK has invaded these boards.

If you can't handle it here, you probably will have a hard time with it when the real deal happens real life aswell.

Though there are somethings that I won't stand for, like the "I just caught my mom masturbating" thread which can only ever be plain fucking retarded in any given context. There are stupid threads, and then there are plain fucking stupid threads. People who post stuff like that are weeds that need to be rooted out.

I appreciate the mods quick action with the poster of that thread.

Well the F word is no longer allowed so I asked if Racial slurs were, wether they are or not isn't up to me and people know how I feel, but locking and ignoring my message seems like someone is trying to silence me.

4. Well, you have to see it from their point of view I guess. Things like racial slurs are things that have to be seen on a context basis. So it is an issue that borders on being anal retentive.

The reason why "f4g" is no longer allowed is probably more to do with the excessive use of said word rather than because of the actual meaning of it.

It's principle, I asked a simple question. Also using
    slurs or the F word creates a hateful enviorment, and I
    felt I needed to address the issue.

6. Well, that is why they invented the Fight Club board. If you want to see a real depressing, hateful environment, go there.

Outside of fight club, it is fairly well moderated with the mods giving warnings for those who are being real jerks before banning them. I wouldn't want it to be an instant ban though, as I sort of vomit my posts out in the sense that I don't really think about what I am writing, but rather write word for word what I am thinking.

7. And this is proof why P.C. moderating doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by cka
    And this is proof why P.C. moderating doesn't work.
    Proof that a person with a legitimate complaint can only get a sarcastic smart ass remark from a staff member.

9. So, you expect me to answer your questions with a suit-and-tie post? OK.

1) Most people that use the report post function use it in a proper manner. It has done more good than harm in helping moderators find and handle problematic threads and posters.

2) Lots of things aren't meant as flamebait, but usually end up turning into it. It happens. Deal with it (HOLLA 1996!!!)

3) There are many threads *about* you in FC, that's not to say you made them all. People often jump to quick conclusions about that.

4) Use some common sense.

5) Yeah, probably.

6) This idea is ludicrous. What's to stop bad mod x from simply locking or deleting said thread, or editting posts inside it? While a fair and impartial moderation squad sounds good on paper, you're unlikely to find one in practice. There's always going to be some sort of bias. But if it's any consolation, I try to not play favourites.

7) I don't know about the other mods and admins, but I'm sarcastic and rude by nature. I'm not going to change my persona just because I'm a staff member of a medium-sized gaming website.

10. I'd love to respond with a large novel but thanks to Kano and Ninjas, I can do all of that in a concise manner.

Stop being a drama queen looking for attention. Thank you.

Arrogant and misunderstood,
    Bahn