Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Connection Recommendations Wanted

Connection Recommendations Wanted

My $900, four year-old Wega died for the second time last week. I spent $250 getting it fixed last summer, and it's not getting another cent out of me. Instead, I ponied up for an HDTV this week. It is getting delivered tomorrow and I need some advice on connections. I am going to wait a bit before getting a component selector, so I will have to pick and choose what gets which connection. Here is what I need to decide:

Options:
    Component Inputs x 2
    S-Video Inputs x 2
    Composite Inputs x 4

Peripherals:
    HDTV Cable Box
    DVD Player
    VCR
    GameCube
    PS2
    Xbox

My current intentions are to give the cable box and the Xbox the component connections and put everything else into my S-Video selector. Would that be your choice as well? My DVD player does not support progressive scan, as it is several years old, so I figure it would benefit less from the component connection than the Xbox and cable box.

2. Does the TV have a DVI type input as well?... if so you could probably hook you're HDTV Cable Box or DVD player (if it has the output) to that. But this is how I would hook them up:

EDIT: I missed the part with the non-progressive DVD player

Component:
    GameCube
    XBOX

S-Video:
    PS2
    DVD

Composite:
    VCR
    HDTV Cable Box (if no DVI input)

3. If I were doing it, I'd be connecting it the same way. The PS2 and the non-progressive DVD player don't benefit too much from component so you can wait till you get a component selector. The GameCube benefits plenty depending on the game, but the component cable is a bit pricy if you don't order it directly from Nintendo (They seem to be the only people charging a reasonable price for it). So yeah, just connect it the way you were going to anyways.

4. What HDTV set did you purchase? I'm sorta in the market for one; or at least I will be by years end.

5. Quote Originally Posted by JefmcC
    What HDTV set did you purchase? I'm sorta in the market for one; or at least I will be by years end.
    I was wondering that too, I plan on getting one as well later this year or early next

6. Moved to the Circuit Board.

Quote Originally Posted by Melf
    Moved to the Circuit Board.
    The what? I guess that's the end of the replies to this thread...

BTW, in case anyone ever finds this thread here, this is the TV I bought.

8. wow that's cheap. How is it? Any sacrifices due to cost? If i had some extra bucks i'd be all over that.

9. This may be a really stupid question as I'm not familiar with the DVD capabilities of the X-Box... but why would you need a separate DVD player, especially if it doesn't support progressive scan?
    For a dark man shall come unto the House of God, and the darkness shall be upon him, yea, even within him.

-- From Noctropolis: Night Visions

http://www.darquecathedral.org/images/drkcathedral.jpe http://www.mortalkombatonline.com/content/mko.jpe

10. Well, because most of the stand alone dvd players are better than Xbox or PS2 one, have more features, and why not to have more dvd players?