Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: You say Vega, I say M. Bison...

wEEman33 Guest
    "Ree-U" will always be "Rye-U" to me and excuse my ignorance, but I refuse to call him anything else. I believe the old saying goes 'You can't teach an old dog new tricks."

One of the name changes yet to be mentioned that really irks me is the change from Gouki to Akuma. Gouki has a much more badass sound

2. I like the name Gouki too. What gets to me is the logic (or apparent lack of) behind these name changes. Fokker to Falcon and Mr. Satan to Hurcule makes sense. These names could be offensive, and I understand why they would change them. Still, most of these name changes don't make any sense at all. Especially Capcom's fighting games. Does anyone know why the Vega, M. Bison, and Balrog names were changed? I'm thinking it was more of an error than anything else.

3. I still refer to him as Mr. Satan, especially since you can still see it labelled on hats and signs (though partly covered up). Hurcule just sounds plain out dumb.

As for the Capcom SFII name switch, when they put Mike into SFII, they wrote his last name as M. Bison, in a poke to the black boxer Mike Tyson (it was just Mike in SF, so it wasn't noticable). CoA didn't want to offend anyone, so they decided to switch his name with another character, and somehow, three bosses got switched instead of just two (despite Balrog's name actually making sense with his character).

4. Originally posted by Green
    I like the name Gouki too. What gets to me is the logic (or apparent lack of) behind these name changes. Fokker to Falcon and Mr. Satan to Hurcule makes sense. These names could be offensive, and I understand why they would change them. Still, most of these name changes don't make any sense at all. Especially Capcom's fighting games. Does anyone know why the Vega, M. Bison, and Balrog names were changed? I'm thinking it was more of an error than anything else.
    M. Bison was too close to Mike Tyson and Capcom didn't wanna get sued. I guess Bison just didn't look like a Balrog.

"I can only say that there is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do to see a plan adopted for the abolition of slavery." - Tommy Tallarico

5. Originally posted by MechDeus
    CoA didn't want to offend anyone, so they decided to switch his name with another character, and somehow, three bosses got switched instead of just two (despite Balrog's name actually making sense with his character).
    They had to stick someone with M.Bison, and Vega(Balrog) didn't seem like the right pick for it.

Now, someone explain to me why the hell CoA would change "Lei-Lei" to "Hsien-ko"...boggles the mind...

6. Originally posted by Chibi Nappa
    I have no consistancy on the issue whatsoever. I don't even know what I'm talking about when I say Vega. I will usually refer to the boxer as M. Bison, because to me he looks like an M. Bison and nothing at all like a Balrog. However, I will usually refer to the evil dictator as M. Bison as well. Doh! The Spaniard looks like either of his names, so some days he's Vega, some days he's Balrog. Mr. Satan is always Mr Satan because it's just so much fun to say when pronounced like it is on the show. Meesta' Satt-an!

With Transformers it's wherever they originated. I call all of the G1's by their American names, but I call the Car Robots by their Japanese names (Fire Convoy instead of Optimus Prime, Speed Breaker instead of Sideburn, Wildride instead of X-Brawn).

Oh, and B.B. Hood is the best name in any video game ever.
    Optimus Prime's japanese name is Fire Convoy?
    Wow.

7. I can understand why they thought they should change the name "Fokker". Anyone who has seen Meet The Parents should understand.

But anyway, I use whatever name I think of first, so I go back and forth between both ways.

Also, isn't the name "Ryu" pronounced "ROO"? Also, what about Sagat? Is it similar to how you pronounce Bob Sagat's last name, or is it different?