Thread: Great way to play games for free (kinda)

1. Great way to play games for free (kinda)

So I went to EB this weekend to trade in Crystal Chronicles and was picking up freedom fighters used when the manager tells me about their membership that would give me 10 percent off all used games for four months. I was sold right there cause lately being strapped for cash all I can afford is used anyways. They also throw in a copy of GMR as well as four more issues mailed directly to your house. Now I'm thinking that's a bonus and I fell like I'm ripping them off now.

Here's the good part. He says that I have month to pretty much play the game and if I finish it or get tired of it I can come back and put the full value of what I paid for that used games towards anything else. Of course you can put it towards another used game but the full value thing only works one time per used game thus avoiding the "just keep playing for free" system but that's ok I came up with a great idea on the spot.

You see I'm very interested in getting either the Nintendo DS or PSP and unless I start saving for it now theres no way I'm getting either. So what I'm going to do is buy a used game, play it, finish it then bring it back and put the full value of my game towards one of those machines which I will keep for sure unlike most games I get. I'll just keep doing that and 10 or 15 games later I'll have paid the little sucker off.

Of course the other catch is not all EB's are doing this. We have 4 EB's in my region and the store near my house is the only one doing this at the moment. Just thought I'd pass the word around about this for any others who might be interested in getting a free rental for a month while they put money aside for their machine of choice.

D

2. abusing the system is how we lost return policies, they'll surely stop this when that happens.

3. Get in while you can then. Honestly I'm sure they thought about that scenario. The store I go to is the newest in the area and it's not well known so that may be the reason why they chose to run with this promotion.

Keep in mind though, you do have to be a member ($10 canadian) to take advantage of this and it only works on used games so if theres abuse to be had there really isn't much leverage. After you return the used game your money basically stays in their pocket so they still win no what I mean.

D

4. The worst part of this whole thing is that after you return that game you had for a month in "new condition" they sell it to somebody as a full price new release.

5. Quote Originally Posted by dyomides
    Get in while you can then. Honestly I'm sure they thought about that scenario. The store I go to is the newest in the area and it's not well known so that may be the reason why they chose to run with this promotion.

Keep in mind though, you do have to be a member ($10 canadian) to take advantage of this and it only works on used games so if theres abuse to be had there really isn't much leverage. After you return the used game your money basically stays in their pocket so they still win no what I mean.

D
    I have never been employed by that company but at CompUSA they called this "Getting the Sale". Basically you bend whatever rule you need to in order to get the customer to say, "yes". I bet the manager is trying to get noticed by selling those useless memberships as part of some kind of corporate sales contest and uses this "promotion" to increase sales.

Eh, I don't set foot in Gamestop anyway - I don't like being "sold" things, including stupid services and discount membership cards.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Six
    I bet the manager is trying to get noticed by selling those useless memberships as part of some kind of corporate sales contest and uses this "promotion" to increase sales.
    yup yup. i always LOVED how our one asshole manager would always bend the rules to get a sub, or an MST out of somebody. "oh i can knock another 5% off that game". that motherfucker would ALWAYS do shit like that. while i would struggle my ass off to get my 55% mst rating for the day, at least i know i worked to get all of them. and he would always then hide in the back after he made his numbers for all of us to absord all the single sales the rest of the day. it was funny though. despite all that i was always ahead of him when the monthly numbers came. yet i was the one that got fired