Page 1 of 19 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite CDs so far of 2004

1. Favorite CDs so far of 2004

I was bored in class today and I realized its about halfway through the year. I thought it would be good to list the top CDs of the year, in my opinion. I suppose you all can also list yours, but I dont care about your opinion.

But it's all good.

Anyway:

Wilco - A Ghost is Born - Just listened to it yesterday and it lit a nice fire up my ass. It's kind of like Yankee Hotel Foxtrot but with better instrumental work and less extraneous stuff that you heard in "Im trying to Break Your Heart". This album is hella good.

Loretta Lynn - Van Lear Rose - This album is fiery and passionate and sometimes that is what you need best. Loretta Lynn may be 70 years old and she may be country, but she can write amazing songs and rock them harder than you can ever hope to. Just listen to "Have Mercy on Me" if you dont believe me.

Madvillain - Madvillainy - the songs are short and sweet, and MF Doom's voice is take it or leave it, but if you take it, and you should, this is a great, great, great album. It's wildly original and easy to listen to. Madlib's DJing is sharp as hell and this album sounds nothing, nothing, nothing like hip-hop of the past couple years. Thank GOD.

Von Bondies - Pawn Shoppe Heart - Okay, its not as good as Elephant or White Blood Cells. BUT, its still a very good CD and worth listening to. Stollsteimer's voice is pretty unique-sounding and the whole album comes off as sharp and refreshing.

New Radiant Storm King - Leftover Blues - I didnt hear about this group until recently but they play solid, well constructed indie rock. It's plenty harmonic and interesting and avoids the awful noise that plagues so much indie rock. Really good album, check it out.

Dizzee Rascal - Boy In Da Corner - Like Madvillainy, this album is possibly so good because it sounds so fresh. That of course is thanks to Rascal's accent but he is an impeccable rapper. The beats and rhythms are kinda odd and an acquired taste, BUT once they are acquired this is a great album. I saw him live and he can freestyle like a motha too.

Honorable mention for Franz Ferdinand. This album has only 3 or 4 tracks I like listening to but those 3 or 4 tracks are some of the best Ive heard in a long, long time. If their next album or whatever can reach that level it will easily be one of the best ever. BUT... can they do it?

Oh, and if I hear any more good ones, like I heard the new Mission of Burma is extraordinary, Ill add it, but only until the read midpoint of the year.

Also, I was dissapointed with Good News For People Who Love Bad News. It just wasn't very good.

2. Modest Mouse - Good News for People Who Love Bad News - probably not as good as their last outing, but still a fantastic album. Good to see they are finally getting some commercial success also. (haha, commercial, get it)

Walkmen - Bows and Arrows - Um, it rocks substantially.

TV on the Radio - Desperate Youth, Bloodthirsty Babes - Amazingly unique stuff. Not quite as focused as last years EP, but good stuvs.

Les Savy Fav - Inches

Squarepusher - Ultravisitor - Close to my favorite of his. Like he took all his albums and molded it into one in which he used all his talents.

I guess that is it besdies stuff you mentioned like Franz Ferdinand, Madvilliany, Loretta Lyn and Diz. I really havent purchased much music this year, only cause im poor now.
    your mom

3. That Dizzee Rascal album is extremely good, though it came out this time last year. No matter, worthy choice on any list. Been wanting to see him live as well.

on with the show:

Madvillain - Madvillainy: Both the King Geedorah and Viktor Vaughn records Doom put out last year were some of the best, and then he went and topped himself this year. What a motherfucker. Doom and Madlib put on such a good show as well.

Animal Collective - Sung Tongs: Back to the experimental free-folk from these freaks. But also probably the most soothing, accessable album the group has put out yet. Hints of Brazillian folk in the mix don't hurt as well.

Modest Mouse - Good News For People Who Love Bad News: I probably won't enjoy the album on the same level as I do Moon & Antartica, but that shouldn't suggest I don't really like it. Because I do.

Devendra Banhart - Rejoicing In The Hands: I can't put my finger on a guy like Devendra Banhart. Not quite as hollow and stark as his last record, but one I can find myself absorbing more. Most everyone should check it out nontheless. Just do it.

Xiu Xiu - Fabulous Muscles: fuck tha h8rzzz

HONNNURRRABLE MENTION

Les Savy Fav - Inches (technically not "new" material, but who cares?)
    Franz Ferdinand - s/t
    cLOUDDEAD - Ten
    Walkmen - Bows + Arrows
    Ratatat - s/t
    The Advantage - s/t
    Hella - The Devil Isn't Red
    Rjd2 - Since We Last Spoke
    TV on the Radio - Desperate Youth, Bloodthirsty Babes

lithium Guest
    10,000 Maniacs -- Campfire Songs: Ok, not really new music. But this is a good collection, and the stuff on disc two is surprisingly very cool. "Peace Train" is a great song. Too bad Michael Stipe had to ruin "To Sir, With Love".

Skinny Puppy -- The Greater Wrong of the Right: When you consider the state of Skuppy now, this is a surprisingly good album. Better than I thought it would be, but of course does not even come close to their classic stuff.

5. I haven't gotten much this year

Telefon Tel Aviv - Map of What is Effortless: Some great songs and some forgettable ones mixed in, and although i wouldn't call the album great or anything it's all i find myself listening to consistently from this year.

Modest Mouse - Good News: I was dissappointed at first, but now i just listen to tracks 3,4,6,10,13-16 and its much more satisfying.

and that's about it. I don't like much new music and it takes me awhile to find the stuff i do like.

6. Weezer, Blue Album Remastered - Heh, what can I say? It's still great.
    Modest Mouse, Good News for People Who Love Bad News - Seems to be a popular one..

This year the only albums that I can think of that I'm REALLY looking forward to are The Hives and Fiona Apple.
    Play Guitar Hero //

7. Haven't picked up too much (in fact, I think the only other CD I've bought this year besides these three is Weezer's Blue album rerelease) but I'm really liking:

The Descendents - Cool To Be You: It's just the Descendents. It's really in no way different from anything else they've ever done but I'd probably be disappointed if it was.

Modest Mouse - Good News For People Who Love Bad News: Haven't heard any of their other albums (I'll probably pick up M&A pretty soon), so I suppose I have no frame of reference. Still, I think this CD's really great.

Franz Ferdinand - S/T: This shit be funky. I only liked a couple of songs off it at first but the whole thing's really grown on me a lot.
    They call me Heatmiser
    and whatever I touch
    starts to melt in my clutch
    I'm too much!

8. I would have to say
    1)Modest Mouse
    2) The Von Bondies

And I can't fucking WAIT for the new Cure CD to come out. My eyes are watering just talking about it. Also, I want to check out that new Loretta Lynn CD, but when I have the dough. *shrug*

9. I'm probably going to forget at least one huge, obvious CD that I've been listening to all year, but from what I can think of on the spot:

Milkman by Deerhoof
    Fabulous Muscles by Xiu Xiu
    Rejoicing in the Hands by Devendra Banhart
    Misery is a Butterfly by Blonde Redhead
    and uh..Zazen Boys s/t

And if what little I've heard of it so far is any indication, Sonic Nurse will appear at the top of that list. Brother Danielson has the same going for him/them. And maybe the new Of Montreal too, if I ever get around to listening to it. No real surprises for me this year, even though I guess I haven't really been trying to find anything new.

10. I looked like such a fag picking up fabulous muscles by Xiu Xiu

and even worse, I fucking hated it!

Is this for releases from this year or just CD's we've picked up? I don't buy much newer stuff.