Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ys Remakes: Discuss.

1. Ys Remakes: Discuss.

2. Hands on impressions of Ys6:

http://www.insertcredit.com/news/e3_2004/ys6/
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

3. I know it's tough to find with our current search function, but there are already a couple of threads devoted to this very topic. For the record, I like Y's.
    -Kyo

4. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH CRAP.

This better come out here.

Like, tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Oldham
    Sing a song of Madeleine-Mary
    A tune that all can carry
    Burly says if we don't sing
    Then we won't have anything...

5. Quote Originally Posted by Insert Credit Guy
    yes, there are two fully different Ys 4s
    There are?
    -Kyo

6. Quote Originally Posted by StriderKyo
    There are?
    Yep. The "real" one, by Falcom themselves for the PCE SCDRR (The Dawn of Ys) and the one for the SFC, by Tonkin House (Mask of the Sun). Obviously, the latter will be ignored for any future port. It's not by Falcom, after all.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Recap
    Yep. The "real" one, by Falcom themselves for the PCE SCDRR (The Dawn of Ys) and the one for the SFC, by Tonkin House (Mask of the Sun). Obviously, the latter will be ignored for any future port. It's not by Falcom, after all.
    Mask of the Sun wasn't ignored for the Ys VI bonus disc that had emulations of Ys 1-5. They put that on there instead of Dawn of Ys, probably because they already had a SNES emulator included for Ys V and didn't want to bother emulating a Duo. I have a feeling Dawn of Ys will be the base for the Ys IV remake, though.

8. Just read that insertcredit demo impression... Fire, Ice, and Wind swords? Hmm..

There was no Ice sword at all in the Ys 6 PC import. What an odd change, I clearly remember there being a Lightning sword instead of Ice.

On a sidenote: What is the deal with people typing Y's instead of Ys? Am I blind and do not see the ' in the Ys logo?

9. Quote Originally Posted by Recap
    Actually, didn't Hudson develop the PCE Ys IV internally (like Ys I-III on PCE)? Falcom was working on the canceled Mega CD release but I don't believe an actual Falcom developed Ys IV ever saw the light of day.

The only console projects I'm aware of Nihon Falcom doing themselves are Popful Mail for Mega CD, Ys V/Expert on Super Famicom and Socerian for Dreamcast. Everything else was done by Hudson, Tonkin House, Riot, GMF, Sega, Sims, Epoch, Microcabin, NEC Interchannel, Victor, DigiCube, Taito, Konami, etc...

10. There's always room for more Ys threads! I have a few translation projects underway for 'em btw - Ys4-Dawn of Ys is on the todo list.

Sidetracking here, but it just so happens I made some progress today on hacking the new YsVI Ark of Napishtim (import PC version). Do you guys think it's worth the trouble to continue with it given Konami will release it for PS2? Even so, I bought it and am pretty intent on following through if I can get a Japanese translator for the most part.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virael
    On a sidenote: What is the deal with people typing Y's instead of Ys? Am I blind and do not see the ' in the Ys logo?
    Supposedly a typo in one of the older manuals from where it caught on (I think).
    Quote Originally Posted by jarrod
    Actually, didn't Hudson develop the PCE Ys IV internally (like Ys I-III on PCE)?
    Yeah, that's right. I always thought it was them, but they never touched consoles it turns out.

First "Dawn of Ys" hacked testing screenshot below. Only an uppercase font is supported, but I'm sure diehard fans will overlook that.
    "Don't be a pansy." - James