Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: screw DVDs, this is where it's at...

1. Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv
    the problem is, people dont like having to rebuy what they allready have, DVDs have finally over taken VHS and people are rebuying their VHS movies on DVD, people arent going to have to have to rebuy those DVDs because their Blu Ray play doesnt happen to support their movie
    Which is, of course, what the content industry wants you to do. I dont think people will, especially since DVD has taken off and its only been like six years.

2. Quote Originally Posted by marwan
    what circuit board?
    The forum you're looking at now. It's a subforum under Sound Off. All tech stuff goes in The Circuit Board.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv
    yes but the HD-DVD players can also play every dvd you allready own

where as with Blu Ray it wouldn't support all of them

where does it say that? will all models by different manufacturers have that problem? http://www.blu-ray.com/recorders/

4. Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv
    yes but the HD-DVD players can also play every dvd you allready own

where as with Blu Ray it wouldn't support all of them
    I found this on the blu-ray.com faq:

Will Blu-ray support playback of DVDs?

Yes, several leading drive manufacturers have already demonstrated drives for consumer products such as video recorders that can read and write DVD and Blu-ray Discs, so you don't have to worry about your existing DVD collection becoming obsolete. Although there is no requirement for Blu-ray recorders to be backwards compatible with DVD, the format is far too popular to not be supported. With the vast amount of Blu-ray recorders that will be coming out, this will be an important feature for consumers.
    Name: Rock
    Town: Arcadia

5. I dont know, other than that one, every single write up on blu ray has said it will not be able to 100% fully support current dvds
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

6. They just basically switched to DVD. People have huge DVD collections and now it's time to move on?

Yeah right! DVD's will be around for a lot longer.. I have no doubt in that. Plus there is no way in hell I'm re-buying Star Trek: The Next Generation Seasons on Blue Ray, those things were pricey enough on DVD!

7. The problem with all of this is that it is looking like there could be another VHS / Beta situation coming up because of this. HD-DVD has become the "blessed" next-gen format for movies, but the people behind Blu-ray aren't backing down. Each side wants to be the one to push their own format, because then their pockets will be lined with more money. As well, each format is just different enough that each side can "validate" why their format deserves to continue on.

The problem is, with Beta, so far as I can recall, it was mostly Sony behind the format. Blu-ray has enough companies behind it that this could end up being a mess. I would like to hope that each format won't exclusively get the movies of those companies behind said format, but I'm afraid that could be the way it ends up. Until one becomes a clear leader, it could end up being like the video game hardware situation - you have to have specific hardware to be able to view specific movies.

I'm not sure exactly which side I support... I do know, though, that I don't like how MS has gotten its hands into the HD-DVD format.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

8. Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi
    I'm not sure exactly which side I support... I do know, though, that I don't like how MS has gotten its hands into the HD-DVD format.
    Heaven forbid they want to make money. I'm glad they got their hands into the Gaming Industry.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv
    the problem is, people dont like having to rebuy what they allready have, DVDs have finally over taken VHS and people are rebuying their VHS movies on DVD, people arent going to have to have to rebuy those DVDs because their Blu Ray play doesnt happen to support their movie

You're kidding right? No industry supports buying the same shit over and over like the DVD industry. Are you trying to tell me that you've never bought a DVD when it first comes out and then bought a Special Edition or Directors Cut or Boxed Set awhile later?

All they have to do is make the Blu Ray version of the DVD support 12.1 surround sound, or give it an alternate commentary track featuring all of the interns and caterers, or give it 13 seconds of additional boob footage, and I don't think it'll be a huge deal to get people to buy it again.

Just imagine it "House of the Dead: Blu Ray limited Special Edition"!

PS: How many different versions of Army of Darkness are available now on DVD?

10. Original, Special, Bootleg, Necronomicon....