Page 1 of 7 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: TNL Community Standards

1. TNL Community Standards

If you venture into a thread with the sole purpose of disrupting it, you are trolling. If a group of your friends are talking and you butt in with a sarcastic remark, you are just playing.

If I am joking around on AIM with User A and I call him a jackass, he feels insulted. If I am joking around on AIM with User B and I call him a jackass, he types "LOL" or ";P" and the conversation continues in the same lighthearted tone.

One of the reasons we have a ignore option at TNL is so that you can block people you don't like. Only if their words are quoted by another user do you see them. It's not exactly like being able to ban someone, but it does give you a little bit of that control.

Users that are obviously here only to spam another site or to annoy everyone are banned by the moderators, but what about people like Diffusionx, who consistently seems to bug a significant percentage of readers? Well, there was a frequent user here, EThugg, that was similarly regarded at first. The differences are (a) he ultimately descended into vitriolic self-parody and (b) he did not contribute as much serious discussion as Diffx does. Diffusionx actually keeps the conversation going in a good way a lot of the time, and I believe that he is helpful and integrated deeply into the community here. That is, he's not a "troll show" but a multifaceted member of TNL that leans toward shooting off his mouth without considering others' feelings.

To deal with these part-time trolls (and we have a few), we have different levels of punishment. You can be banned from all boards temporarily, you can be banned just from Gaming Discussion, or you can be confined just to Fight Club. Whenever anyone is banned, you have some users complain and others cheer. There will always be one group for tighter moderation and one group against, and we have had people leave the site for awhile in protest on both sides of the argument. I am not interested in trying to please everyone, because that is futile. It will never happen. But I am interested in finding out just what this community's standards are.

---------------------------------------

Here are my two goals for these boards:

- Have a gaming discussion board where you can start at the first thread, hit the "Next Thread" link, and jump from topic to topic and find the reading experience enjoyable and informative. The gaming board is the jewel of this place, and I want to keep it useful and fun.

- Keep users from assaulting other users. That is more of a gray area than I ever imagined, because of the different ways that a sentence can be interpreted and because of the different ways in which readers react to verbal jabs.

See, I don't care if you say "Bill Gates is a moron," because Bill Gates doesn't post here. But if you try to make one of the members here feel like an idiot, then I do have a problem. But what if that member has a quirk, like he is a Nintendo fanboy, or he always talks about how 3D games are worthless, or he is obsessed with his girlfriend, or whatever? Can you take little jabs at him? I'm not talking about calling someone names that would get you a bloody lip in real life, I'm talking about taking jabs at someone the same way you would take jabs at people you know in real life.

I realize we aren't all friends here, but do we have to be as polite here as we would be with someone we were just introduced to at an office party? The rules are to never attack anyone on these boards, but does that mean never poke fun at anyone?

---------------------------------------

Answer in this thread as much as you want, but also send comments to me at forum@the-nextlevel.com. Messages sent to that address will be kept private, so name all the names you want. And if you want to complain about me, go ahead and do that, too. Just tell me what your standards are: no verbal jabs allowed, anything goes, or somewhere in between. We have one faction so vocal right now that I want to make sure everyone is heard.

2. I wanna get this out.

I dislike quite a few people around here. I like quite a few people around here.

How I feel about those people does not affect who I do and do not ban. Who I do and do not single out. And the fact is a shitlist doesn't exist for me.

I think what forum users see is a lot more of the problem than we do when they see the whole story, watch someone get banned, and scream, "But the mod was wrong!"

and no one listens.

Personally we need to be logical about this stuff from now on. Cause it sure seems a lot of people get banned when certain people are on here, and a lot of people don't when others are.

There's got to be a midground.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Oldham
    Sing a song of Madeleine-Mary
    A tune that all can carry
    Burly says if we don't sing
    Then we won't have anything...

3. Its great when someone gets de-opped from #TNL for breaking rules that don't exist without explanation from the mod, and then leaving the channel. That's just fantastic. But what's even better is getting banned for "flaming" the mod who does it, and then another op tattletales, and then the mod comes back in and bans them, also without explanation.

That just rules.

4. Not THAT again...
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

5. Jemery, it will keep being brought up until it is resolved. Nick is talking about community standards and I agree with him, it is needed. What happened on #TNL shows a complete lack of these standards.

6. Quote Originally Posted by youandwhosearmy
    Personally we need to be logical about this stuff from now on. Cause it sure seems a lot of people get banned when certain people are on here, and a lot of people don't when others are.
    I wholeheartedly agree. Although I haven't been around lately, it seems as if occasionally the mods ban on personal preference rather than using past cases as example. That ain't right.
    Though, I do agree with Nick on Diffx. It's not as if his sole purpose is pissing people off. (Though I'm sure he does enjoy it. ) I see him making very good arguments in Sound Off.

A whole shitload of the problems seem to be just people with no sense of humor. Heck, some people tend to take EVERYTHING as an insult. Sure, there's a hell of a lot of trolling and actual insults going about, but one must learn how to let things roll of his back. Nick is also correct in saying that some of these things are just misunderstandings. Very difficult to tell online, true, but one should really think before flipping out over nothing.

7. All this calls for a competition for creating sarcasm and "calm down, i am just kidding" emoticons.

8. It'd be swell if everyone got along but it ain't gonna happen. Certain people here are always going to be dicks. Advice: just grow a pair and deal with it.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

9. more people just need to use ignore. i think the solution is that simple.

10. Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    Its great when someone gets de-opped from #TNL for breaking rules that don't exist without explanation from the mod, and then leaving the channel. That's just fantastic. But what's even better is getting banned for "flaming" the mod who does it, and then another op tattletales, and then the mod comes back in and bans them, also without explanation.

That just rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    You were banned from #tnl for various reasons, among which are kicking people without due cause, abuse of power, trolling and generally being billigerant. Your behavior was not acceptable, and I received numerous complaints on it. I gave you quite a while to stop, I gave you multiple chances after you did things with your op powers that I told you not to on several occasions. Deopping you didn't stop you being disruptive -- you were outright flaming me in the channel. I don't mind that so much as I do your attitude in general. Being opped in a chat channel is not an excuse to do whatever you want -- be moderate in your behavior, not excessive. I don't see why banning you from chat is an abuse of my power if you can't behave.