Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rendering of a PC... half of it anyway

1. Quote Originally Posted by diffusionx
    I also drew a picture of a GameCube, it's an exciting action shot of a user inserting Super Mario Sunshine into his system. Check it out and tell me what you think!
    Hey... wait a minute... what part of the game is that? I don't remember that level in Mario Sunshi... oh my fucking stars...

You bastard.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

2. They all look great, but that PS2...wow. Awesome stuff.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

3. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew
    silver. default colours only. it's harder to do too because that bastard is so fucking shiny.
    Aw, I was hoping for some red or blue. Or black, even. Silver sounds like a bitch to do.

4. all for my site..... to take over the world! mwahahaha!

(not for the site in my sig, i have a couple sites )

5. This one was by far the hardest one out of the lot... despite me thinking it would be easy. It's too shiny. It's very easy to make a mistake and ruin the whole thing but I think i came out successful.
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

6. The indented/chamfered edged for the D-pad and buttons look a little odd. The white outlines stick out a bit much to me, especially on the D-pad circle.

But damn, that one wins. Those are amazing, Andrew. My highest compliments.

7. I like that one. I tried to make a GBA in Illustrator a few months back, but I gave up and left only this shoddy half assed version. Did you use the mesh tool for the gradients? Also, how did you do the font? I found the font for the "Advance" part, but I couldn't find the proper font for the "Gameboy" font. I didn't even bother to make the lettering on the buttons look right. I'm so lazy. Eventually I just used my weak looking gba to make this:

8. Nomi: I just need to reduce the transparency on those lines to make them blend in. The start and select buttons have them around too, they're just more faint. I don't think I will, though, I want to finish up the PC. It's the last one that I have to do until the PSP and DS are released.

Quote Originally Posted by Regus
    I like that one. I tried to make a GBA in Illustrator a few months back, but I gave up and left only this shoddy half assed version. Did you use the mesh tool for the gradients? Also, how did you do the font? I found the font for the "Advance" part, but I couldn't find the proper font for the "Gameboy" font. I didn't even bother to make the lettering on the buttons look right. I'm so lazy. Eventually I just used my weak looking gba to make this:

I traced the fonts by eye up close. It looks like crap but when you zoom out it's almost the same as the original. It takes practice because you can't see the final result until you're done. So it takes practice. I didn't use the gradient mesh tool on any of those, I typically only use it when I need to make something shaded while it's curved on the surface.

Just focus on getting the lines right and making it a single, coherant drawing before you attempt to make it look 3D. The best thing to do is just to make all of your stuff white to see what it looks like as a simple schematic. I didn't do this, but if I needed help I would have. I've also been using Illustrator for a year and a half now (consistently).

BTW, I took your advice about the stroke to fill Blaine. I just duped the whole thing, then did it to the smaller ones for the PS2 and GBA SP in order to make them consistent, not matter what the size. So thanks for the help.

p.s. post more.

EDIT:

I've changed the lines after Nomi's criticism and it looks better. I just snugged them up and reduced their transparency, as I said I would, and it worked nicely.

9. Much better. Now those lines don't catch my attention.

10. I'm working on finishing up the keyboard and mouse, but this is the general style that the computer portions will have. I won't be done them until Sunday night. I work 12 hour shifts from 7 to 7 and like to relax after the long work day so this'll have to wait.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	comic1.gif 
Views:	186 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	11232  
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 14 Aug 2004 at 05:48 PM.