Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Creating a web site

1. The layout is ok, but a little more color would be nice. Is the navigation going to be above the game title?
    Never under any circumstance scrutinize the mastication orifice of a gratuitous herbivorous quadruped.

2. It looks kind of like a web site circa 1998 but thats not bad in and of itself. Its pretty good. I would use a different font if I were you.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Melf
    I've created a new thread for you fellas to maintain your design discussion. It sounds very cool but I don't understand squat so...

Back on topic: what do you guys think of the reviews layout?
    Thanks Melf.

The site needs more color, but besides that it gets its point across just fine. As far as fonts go, I try to avoid using Times New Roman online because it looks like crap most of the time (I tend to prefer Verdana). I can't tell what font you are using from that screen, but... avoid Times

4. Thanks. The site is going to look laughably simple to a lot of you, as I've only used templates and simple stuff. I'm a web site noob so it'll get better as I go along. I don't feel bad about its simplicity, so long as it does what it's supposed to.

I agree about the font. I checked Verdana and it's large but not too large and makes the review much easier to read.

Wolffen: For the individual review pages I just put a "back" link at the bottom of the review. All the main pages and review letter pages have the navigation in a single bar (with a cool Shinobi font) at the top.

Dreamweaver doesn't have a navigation menu? Frontpage has an option to put in a navigation bar at the top or side of each page that contains links to all the parent and/or secondary pages, which would be great at the top of a review. I'd be surprised if DW didn't have a similar option.

Completely unrelated note: I registered quack-quack.net today.

6. I use Arial and Arial Narrow, mainly.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Rich
    Dreamweaver doesn't have a navigation menu? Frontpage has an option to put in a navigation bar at the top or side of each page that contains links to all the parent and/or secondary pages, which would be great at the top of a review. I'd be surprised if DW didn't have a similar option.
    The bar would be on every page? That would rock. I still haven't found it, if it exists (I'm doing everything trial and error) but I'll check around the menu. I need a tutorial!

I suppose Dreamweaver has no navigation bar option, at least from what I found via google. Try this, though:
    http://www.stickysauce.com/tutorials...er/navmenu.htm

Also, this is with Frontpage, but I'd be damn surprised if Dreamweaver did't have something similar.
    http://s87130548.onlinehome.us/Frontpage.jpg

Active example, something I whipped up in about 20 minutes with Frontpage last week:
    http://s87130548.onlinehome.us/Home/index.htm
    (I"m going to take a shot at a professional looking site in a few days when quack-quack.net launches.

9. Templates do functionally the same thing.

I'd avoid Frontpage. That junk adds shit to your code. Unfortunately Ive found that the new version of DW (MX 2004) obfuscates a bit too. Very dissapointing. I prefer the first version of MX myself.

10. Ok, so I've been a busy little bee over the last week or so. I've finished this so far:

- Put up a total of 37 reviews
    - Put up two features (Digital comics & Nomad Buyer's Guide)
    - Changed all word links to buttons!
    - Finished the 32X and Sega CD master lists.
    - Did #-F of the Genesis master list
    - Bought the domain name! sega-16.com is now mine!

I hope to have it all up soon. I want to have some decent content before it launches, hence the delay.