Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PS2 Modem/Ethernet Adapter price.

1. PS2 Modem/Ethernet Adapter price.

$50 US. It will come with an Online Frequency which is compatible with both Dial-Up and Broadband.

ºTracer
    o_O

2. Nice way to expose gamers to Frequency. Hopefully that harddrive isn't essential for most online games or else this could be expensive. *-neo

3. The HDD will be anywhere from Useless to HIGHLY recommened.. Nothing thus far will require it. RPG Maker being the utmost.

More Details:
    • HDD Price: ???
    • HDD Release Date: ???
    • HDD will NOT save games.
    • Many Games, not all, WILL require an Install in order to use the HDD features it may have.
    • 15" Flat Panel Monitor will NOT be released.
    • Keyboard & Mouse will be released, in conjunction with the Modem/Ethernet adapter.
    • SOCOM Navy Seals, SCEA's killer 3rd person online squad-based shooter will support Dial-Up, but according to someone I've talked to at SCEA - the game will HIGHLY recommend broadband.
    • No games announced or soon to be anounced will be Broadband only,
    • NO word on Pack-in software such as Netscape or AOL. Last I heard, and I'm not certian on this, that Netscape will be included on the HDD.
    • Sony will not announce a Price drop WHEN Microsoft will (on May 23rd appearantly) rather SCEA will wait to see if the Xbox is well recived at that price point. If yes, the price may fall by August.
    • If you take a picture it WILL last longer.
    • Finnaly, SCEA is VERY serious about suporting thier online campaign. Naturally seeing as how they are porting a game whos minimum RAM requirements were 512MB and have quite a few soild first party games supporting it. Everquest, GT, SOCOM and Frequency should all do well. The later largely because you HAVE to get it to play games online.

That's about all I know.

ºTracer
    o_O

4. If you take a picture it WILL last longer.
    You mean I have to waste film to make this thing last as long as the price jusifies? Damn.

I just wish I knew something more then Frequency that perks my interest. We've got Xenosaga reducing load times (there's something wrong here) and maybe FFXI (though I'm seeing so many more MMORPGs on PC that I want that are coming FFXI looks more and more disinteresting). I hope it's cheap ($30 :jest: ).

5. I forgot to add:
    • My cat's breath smells like Cat food.

The HDD didn't sound like a good deal - I don't even think a lot of people at SCEA think it'll take off either. Time will tell.

OH... I can't belive I forgot this.

If the PS2 price doesn't fall this year - It'll set a precedent. The PS2 may be the first system to maintain it's price point so close to the launch of the next system in it's line. The PS3 is closer than you think. (Read: 2003)

ºTracer
    o_O

I seriously doubt the PS3 will be out as early as 2003.

7. Originally posted by TracerBullet
    • My cat's breath smells like Cat food.
    Damn, you should've said that earlier! Now I'm definately getting a PS2 HD, right off the first shipment!

8. Originally posted by NeoZeedeater
    I seriously doubt the PS3 will be out as early as 2003.
    Perhaps there was some lines crossed, but what I'm hearing isn't comforting. All I can say is this is the information I have recived today.

Personally, I doubt it too.... we'd have heard something by now... but the source is a good one. And, I honestly don't fudge stuff for the sake of it. This is just what I heard... in essesce, this thread is pretty much a summation of the information (inaccurate or not) I recived today... well... technically yesterday. Except the part about the cats breath and the pictures

As close to verbatim as I can get is as follows:

IBM and Toshiba have finalized the chip-set that will "be" the PS3 called (I'm sure this is well known) "The Cell". There aren't any super solid details about it except that it's quite revolutionary in that it can 'heal' itself*. The chip-set is ready for mass production and should be expected to be implemented in 2003.

That's about it. 'sall I know.

*This healing business is beyond me for know - perhaps that is more in refrence to a more PC oriented platform? A console would only need something like that if there was BIOS or any other crucial configuration changes. I could be WAYY off.

ºTracer

EDIT - http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/s...&threadid=3021 Appearantly - the source is untrust worthy. Disreguard my thread. It's probably all full of shit. I'm pretty disappointed that these guys were full of it.. unless Gamers.com is... and it wouldn't be the first time they were.
    o_O

9. Re: PS2 Modem/Ethernet Adapter price.

Originally posted by TracerBullet
    $50 US. It will come with an Online Frequency which is compatible with both Dial-Up and Broadband.

ºTracer
    Anyone who pays the $250 for this and the PS2 when they could get a XB for $200 needs to be shot. Repeatedly. In front of friends and family. On national television. As the half time show during a Super Bowl.

10. Nuh Uhh Xbox doesn't paly DVDS or Finel Fantacy!!!1
    o_O