Page 1 of 25 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Fahrenheit 9/11

lithium Guest

Fahrenheit 9/11

I enjoyed Roger and Me and Bowling For Columbine, so I am looking forward to this one. Although it does seem Moore is grabbing at more and more mainstream and controversial subject matter in order to sell his movies. RaM was about Detroit auto workers -- a far cry from 9/11.

And having this movie out across the nation in mainstream theaters before the election is very interesting. It's even getting decent commercial promotion. Anyway, June 25th, I'm there. Anyone else looking forward to it?

EDIT: apparently I can't spell "Fahrenheit".

2. I'll be there.

It's funny how people work.

Prior to Cannes, Moore didn't have a shot in hell of getting his movie distrusted or even shown at most theaters. One of my professors runs a small theater downtown, he said he had gotten scores of e-mails telling him if he got it, not to show the film or he’d be closed down.

But now that it was hailed at Cannes as the palme d’or, everyone’s raving about the movie. The best part is the majority of those that either criticized or raved about the film haven’t even seen it. Same thing happened with The Passion.

When it comes to politics and religion people become ignorant and lose their senses, getting lost in their little beliefs and then go yelling about something they really don’t know about.

Unfortunately, sometimes I’m one of these people.

But I try real hard not to let the hype get the best of me. and to give everything a chance.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

3. I think its funny that people will take a lying, manipulative lunatic like Michael Moore seriously at all. Is there seriously surprise that the movie got the largest standing ovation in Cannes history. When it was a bunch of French and Hollywood celebrities watching it? The whole thing is a scam. Michael Moore, though, is excellent at seizing attention, and its already widely understood that Disney tried to "silence" him.

Moore loves to paint himself as an average guy who is oppressed by the Republican conspiracy but the reality is that he's a successful businessman who has grown wealthy thanks to the America he hates.

4. I'll be there opening night with possibly up to nine of my friends. I've been looking forward to this film for months.

Trailer here for those who may have missed it.

5. I'm not a fan of Moore, but I'm at least willing to give the movie a chance unlike some knee-jerk conservative Francophobes I know.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

lithium Guest
    Whether you agree with him or not, he makes an entertaining film that's unlike anything else you'll see in the theatres. I doubt many of us bother to explore the whole documentary genre.

7. Yes, he makes entertaining films, but completely inaccurate as documentaries. The amount of spin he puts on his "information" is ridiculous. And the teenage liberals, who simply want to listen to someone who disagrees with their parents, eat it up and take his beliefs as their own, refusing to figure anything out forthemselves, because, hey, Michael Moore can do it for them! Bet they're glad to be getting some more material to work with.

Anyway, I'm downright sickened by the fact that Michael Moore now comes out and says that he had footage of mistreatment of prisoners in Iraq and held on to it, to put it in his movie... and didn't release it when it could have actually helped to stop the behavior in question. Proof that he cares nothing for his agenda, and is all about cashing in on his "controversial" films.

Fuck Michael Moore, and fuck the people who have their lips clamped around his dick, waiting for him to dump another load down their throats.

That said, I will see this movie. I'm curious like everyone else. But it's not likely to be changing any of my beliefs on any of the subject matter covered in the film, and I'm already burned up thinking about how I'll never hear the end of people jizzing over it at my hyper-liberal school. If you can take it as entertainment or maybe find a point or two you agree with, fine. But I'm tired of young people basing their entire political and social belief system off of Moore's.

Entertaining or not, I just hope it has more direction than Bowling for Columbine did.

edit: spelling, clarification

8. Quote Originally Posted by Grave
    Anyway, I'm downright sickened by the fact that Michael Moore now comes out and says that he had footage of mistreatment of prisoners in Iraq and held on to it, to put it in his movie... and didn't release it when it could have actually helped to stop the behavior in question. Proof that he cares nothing for his agenda, and is all about cashing in on his "controversial" films.
    This is such a typical right-wing argument. Blame the media for the abuse!

And I got news for you, bub. Abuse at Abu Ghraib was hardly a secret, even before the pictures came out.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

9. Quote Originally Posted by sleeveboy
    And I got news for you, bub. Abuse at Abu Ghraib was hardly a secret, even before the pictures came out.
    Certainly. But the release of information and pictures to the public produced the backlash necessary to (hopefully) do something about it.

And it's not a matter of blaming the abuse on the media, that's ridiculous. But to sit on that video footage and information rather than get that information to the public as soon as possible? I just don't agree with that.

It's not an issue of holding back information because it'd be bad for the country to release... not that Moore cares much about that, I'd imagine... this is stuff the public did not know about, regardless of what the military and the government knew. Holding it back to release in his movie for dramatic effect? I don't know, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Grave
    Entertaining or not, I just hope it has more direction than Bowling for Columbine did.
    That was my only major gripe with Bowling for Columbine. I wanted to enjoy it more, but about halfway through the movie lost focus to a serious degree.

I'm looking forward to F9/11 as well. No, I don't take everything Michael Moore says as gospel despite the fact that I usually agree with him. And F9/11 simply looks entertaining.