Thread: reinstall woes and HDD issues

1. reinstall woes and HDD issues

Okay, one of the computers at my office isn't working, and windows won't start. When I use the windows/dell reinstall CD and try to install windows ME, it says that the computer has no Hard drive or it is broken.

I have a WinME boot/startup disk made from another computer with the same OS.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the HDD up and running?

thanx

2. i don't think there is such a thing as getting a hard drive back up and running. Unless it's just the wires coming loose i'd say you need a new HD.

that's what I was going to say before a shitload of work came to my desk...

check the connections.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

4. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo
    that's what I was going to say before a shitload of work came to my desk...

5. Check the BIOS. On my Dell, when something like this happened, it was a matter of seeing if the drive even showed up there. Usually it's like F8 or F10 on Dells, but I could be wrong.

If it's a newer Dell, it's possible that flashing the BIOS might help. If you go to their web site and put the service tag in you can go to downloads and copy the flasher to a floppy, then follow the steps. There used to be a sequence of keys you would press to sort of running-state flash the BIOS, but I can't remember them.

Otherwise, yeah, reseat cables, try another IDE cable, try another CMOS battery. If all fails, a new HD is needed.

6. ive had HDD's not be detected until formatted (being factory fresh).