Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Apple iBook G4

1. Apple iBook G4

The new Apple iBook G4 -- I'm thinking about getting the 14.1 inch 1.2 GHz version (the top version) and cranking up the RAM to 768 MB.

Anyone have experience with the new iBooks to toss some impressions on here? I'm Going to CompUSA to try them out soon (no Apple stores remotely close to here) but I'd like some feedback from you guys if possible.

Oh, my primary use would be for business stuff - word processing, Internet, coding, website development, FTP-ing, Photoshop, and that type of thing. No super-powered graphics or video editing apps and no gaming to eat up processing power.

2. Save yourself some money and get the 12" iBook instead. It's cheaper, more portable, and runs the same display resolution as the 14" version.

Buy your extra RAM from a third party vendor (someone reliable like crucial.com) and install it yourself. Apple rips you off on memory upgrades, so just get the minimum when you first order the iBook.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Mamoscott
    Save yourself some money and get the 12" iBook instead. It's cheaper, more portable, and runs the same display resolution as the 14" version.

Buy your extra RAM from a third party vendor (someone reliable like crucial.com) and install it yourself. Apple rips you off on memory upgrades, so just get the minimum when you first order the iBook.
    I dunno about downgrading the monitor size. I need all the room I can get. The Apple memory upgrade is $200. I'll look into third-party pricing.

Thanks for the input!

http://www.crucial.com/store/ListPar...G4+1%2E2GHz%29
    I'd save $90. Hot damn, thanks Mamoscott!

4. Quote Originally Posted by kabuki
    I dunno about downgrading the monitor size. I need all the room I can get. The Apple memory upgrade is $200. I'll look into third-party pricing.

Thanks for the input!

http://www.crucial.com/store/ListPar...G4+1%2E2GHz%29
    I'd save $90. Hot damn, thanks Mamoscott!
    No problem. The memory installation isn't a very complicated process, and there are comprehensive walk-throughs at Apple's site if you poke around their support areas (with videos too).

And you're not necessarily downgrading the monitor size if you go with a 12" iBook. The 12 and 14 inch models have the same display resolution (1024x768), so even though things will be slightly bigger on the 14" display, you're not really getting any additional space to work with at that extra cost. For the record, I used to have a 12" iBook, and now I use a 14" iBook (got a great deal on a used one). You can't really go wrong with either model, but in my opinion, the 14 incher doesn't offer enough over the 12 incher to justify the extra dough Apple wants you to fork over for it. That's just my opinion though.

Lastly, be sure to invest in extended AppleCare sometime before your complimentary year of coverage expires, and if you can take advantage of wireless networks, get an Airport card.

EDIT: Also, don't forget to get Apple's educational discount if you're still a student.

5. I'm no longer a student, so no discount for me I've heard many people suggest the AppleCare warranty, so it seems like a necessity.

I'll test out the 12" and the 14" to see if I can get by with the 12"

6. From your description, the iBook is certainly the laptop you want. Aside from the $200 difference in price, though, the only other thing that varies is the screen size. However, as Mamoscott said, both machines run 1024x768 max. The 12" display is a bit more crisp than the 14", but you don't get any more desktop space - you have to do that with an external monitor (they give you the adapter cables). They don't have a 1.2GHz 12" yet. HOWEVER, the cache on all three models is the same - 512K at 1GHz. I don't know if that will influence your purchase.

Personally, though, I would stay away from CompUSA unless they're the ONLY place close by. You can locate a reseller like my store close to you. Not only will they have the cheaper third party memory, but they'll have the right kind for your iBook. Some places might even install it for you free of charge. My store does that and data transfer from an older machine as a value-added service, for instance.

And yes, get AppleCare. No matter what type of computer you buy, I always recommend extended warranties. They're worth it even if you never get any hardware problems purely for the free phone support. Let us know what you get!

EDIT: Oh yeah, if you find a place near you with an "S" as their type, that means they have at least one fully-certified tech in their employ.

7. I was just going to test them at CompUSA and buy from Apple.com (I don't buy from CompUSA anymore due to many bad experiences there). I checked for a local vendor and got a series of CompUSA's and Guitar Centers (WTF!?).

So the 12" is more crisp? Hrmmm... now that makes me lean towards the 12".....

Question for you guys: I know that OS X is based on UNIX... so can it run PHP code naturally? I'd like to switch my web development to the laptop.

8. I believe you can run PHP from the X11 emulator, but it might be fully native. I don't know PHP, so I have no facility to test it.

9. get the 12" and put the money you save towards a big external monitor

10. So I went to CompUSA after my meeting tonight. I was in the Apple section for a good 30 minutes and not a single salesperson made an appearence. Then, minutes before I was about to leave, a salesman shows up. This guy who was looking at the eMacs gets questioned by the salesman, and the guy proceeds to say that he wants to get a Mac, but as cheaply as possible. So the salesman suggests the 12-inch iBook (which is actually like $300 more than an eMac...) but then proceeds to tell the guy that he doesn't want that. What he really wants is the $3000 G5 with the huge monitor. The guy then laughs and says he doesn't have that much money. Yet the salesman proceeds to tell him how it is "only $3000" and how he had a whole "6 months interest-free" to pay it off. The guy laughs and the salesman is like "let me get you a credit application."

At this point I would have asked the salesman "what are you fucking retarded?" but the guy was just like "nonono." And the salesman continued to push him! I'd like to see the salesman pay off a $3000 in six months on his $8.47/hour pay rate.

That was the worst act of salesmanship I've ever witnessed, and is a prime example of why CompUSA sucks the almighty ball-sac. He could have helped the guy with getting an eMac and made a competent sale, but he had to be a flaming douchebag instead.

Why are people so stupid ?????

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    I believe you can run PHP from the X11 emulator, but it might be fully native. I don't know PHP, so I have no facility to test it.
    Hrmmm... I shall look into this.....

I'm leaning towards the 14" as of now. Bigger screen, faster processor, and a built-in wireless card. I will be buying an external scroll-wheel optical mouse though. 10 hours straight of touch-padding would likely cause me to self-defenestrate. As for another monitor... they look very tempting.....