Thread: A Day Without A Mexican

1. A Day Without A Mexican

Last edited by D_N_G; 27 Mar 2006 at 04:49 PM.

2. "What would a day in California without Mexicans and all other Latinos be like? Latinos, over one third of the population of the State, actively participate in making California the fifth largest economy in the world; a fact seldom referred to when blaming them for weighing California down with their educational and medical needs."

Interesting idea for a film. Has anyone seen this yet?

3. It is out on DVD. I desperately need to rent this.

4. Every single hispanic is apparantly in service jobs, construction, etc (and nobody else is), and a white person can't clean his car without a Mexican.

That about sums it up.

5. What exactly was the point of this movie?

"Were Mexican, we enjoy shitty low paying jobs?" or "No Mexican can elevate themselves above a dishwasher?"

Isn't this just sustaining the stereotypes?

Was this suppose to suddenly make it ok for people to illegally jump our border?
    “The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, you know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

6. "What would a day in California without Mexicans and all other Latinos be like? Latinos, over one third of the population of the State, actively participate in making California the fifth largest economy in the world; a fact seldom referred to when blaming them for weighing California down with their educational and medical needs."
    Um, isn't California in massive, borderline-crippling debt?

7. Good time to bump this wonderful 2 year old thread

This movie was terrible. It's obviously a propaganda film but it lacks the subtlety of better films. As it stands it's a cheap direct to video production with a message that fails due to the way it's presented.

Several times the movie would pause and onscreen "factoids" would pop up and tell us how mexicans or other latin americans are associated with whatever is happening on the screen. The INS is painted as buffoons and every latino is a saint.

I think the worst part is that I actually sympathize with illegal aliens. Too bad crappy movies like this only worsen it for everyone.
    "Chuy, you're going to have a magical life. Because no matter where you go, it's always going to be better than Tucson."