Thread: Getting Rid of Symantec Boot Menu

1. Getting Rid of Symantec Boot Menu

i made the mistake of installing norton antivirus and it set up a stupid boot menu whenever i start my computer. it's called the "symantec startup menu," and it only exists for me to choose between booting from my hard drive or dvd drive. if i don't press anything for 10 seconds, it defaults to the hard drive.

anyway, i uninstalled norton a day later, but the damn boot menu stayed. it's obviously a minor problem, but if anyone tells me how to get rid of it, i'll be their best friend forever.

2. Try good ol' fdisk /mbr. That should repair the master boot record.

3. Install Norton again, disable the boot menu somewhere in the options, uninstall Norton.
    I don't know how to get rid of the huge space here.

4. Quote Originally Posted by cka
    Try good ol' fdisk /mbr. That should repair the master boot record.
    does that work with xp? i'd try it myself, but i won't get home from work until much later.

Quote Originally Posted by seen
    Install Norton again, disable the boot menu somewhere in the options, uninstall Norton.
    i'd really like to avoid doing that if i can. are you sure it's an option? i don't recall seeing it before i uninstalled.

LOL Guest
    I'm not familiar with this program, but go to the Start Menu, check "Run" and type "msconfig." Then check out the "BOOT.INI" tab to see what Norton did. Not sure how to fix it from there, but yeah.

6. Norton is evil all of a sudden. I used to use it, but it's too much of a resource hog and too in love with itself (kind of like RealPlayer on that last point). I want to control my PC, not have some nearly uninstallable software run it any way it sees fit.

I updated my subscription to the firewall and the antivirus services (I did not upgrade to the new version) and it ended up "upgrading" the program in such a way that my old PC was choking at every step.

Now I try to use nice simple programs that only do one thing and do it well. Did you get rid of Norton for similar reasons or was it just a trial period?

7. that's exactly why.

i replaced it with NOD32, which seems nice. the memory footprint is much smaller, scans are faster.. seems better all around. and it doesn't conflict with audigy sound cards, which norton has a lot of trouble with.

incidentally, you know what norton's suggestion for getting the two products to be installed at the same time? remove all audigy instances from your system start-up. this effectively cripples your card, by the way. norton sucks.

edit: it's gone. fdisk is my hero. thanks, everyone.

8. Laugh

Quote Originally Posted by epmode
    edit: it's gone. fdisk is my hero. thanks, everyone.
    LOL! I had the same problem I installed Norton Antivirus but didn't like that menu at all. I even tried FDISK, but it doesn't seem to exist on Windows 2000.

Then I discovered that the menu is on the CD! Just removing the CD from the drive solved the problem.

9. Laugh

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbal View Post
    LOL! I had the same problem I installed Norton Antivirus but didn't like that menu at all. I even tried FDISK, but it doesn't seem to exist on Windows 2000.

Then I discovered that the menu is on the CD! Just removing the CD from the drive solved the problem.
    I know this is a old post but man your fucking genius!

I didn't even realize that the cd was in the drive on the pc that I was working on.

I removed the cd and the boot menu is gone!

Worst noob ever.